Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicholas.J.Moor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
What size library is itunes scaled to handle? As I built my library from 75gb to roughly 425gb (had to move my itunes library to an external hard drive - firewire connection) i notice significant lagging while scrolling, while clicking on a song to play... for pretty much everything. I've turned off genius, auto-update, i've simplified the file-paths (decreasing them by roughly 30% after final addition - itunes creates file paths by artists name). I've then cleaned my hard-drive, registries, and reinstalled the operating system - updating all programs to current levels. Throughout this I monitored my usage on iStat menus. While overall processing speed improved i tunes continued to lag.

Can anyone please provide some details and or a prescription for relief from these lagging issues?

billraff

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2006
Sorry to say I have no solution but my library (approximately 130 gb) also on a network drive off my Time Capsule became painfully slow after the latest release of iTunes. There are a couple of threads on this on the Apple support forums. I'd be interested in any suggestions for fixing this as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.