Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

102539-qik-details-1.jpg
102539-qik-main-2.jpg

Qik, a popular video sharing application available for a number of smartphone platforms, has officially come to the iPhone. However, its most notable feature – the ability to stream live video – is missing in the version for the iPhone. Instead, users can only upload saved videos to Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and Qik's own site.

Qik first came to the iPhone unofficially last year as an app available to jailbroken iPhone users through Cydia and was regularly used by Kevin Rose, who demonstrated the app on his blog in October 2008. Rose stated that it would be coming to the App Store, though the date of its availability was not known.

Videos recorded on the iPhone 3GS and uploaded via Qik can be shared with geotagging information so viewers can know the exact location of where the video was recorded. Text fields can save a title and/or brief description for a video before it is uploaded. Available for free, Qik can be found in the App Store here (link opens iTunes). It is compatible exclusively with the iPhone 3GS, the only iPhone model capable of recording video out of the box.

Article Link: Qik Video Sharing App Now Available in App Store

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Omg !!!!

I've been waiting for this!

Yeah, but without the streaming aspect, it seems like only half an App to me. Most of the appeal of Qik (at least to me) when i had it on my jailbroken phone was the ability to stream. Without it, it's a "meh" moment to me.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Yeah, but without the streaming aspect, it seems like only half an App to me. Most of the appeal of Qik (at least to me) when i had it on my jailbroken phone was the ability to stream. Without it, it's a "meh" moment to me.

Oh, wait! You're right! No live streaming :eek:
So, this is no better than the native 3GS App that uploads to Youtube. I can post my Youtube links on any website. (disappointed)

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Pointless. Just pair your youtube account with Facebook and Twitter and your vids will automatically show up there anyway:rolleyes:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So this uploads videos from the iPhone to YouTube?

This is duplicated functionality! I might get really confused by this. :confused:

Apple needs to remove this ASAP or the world will fall to pieces.

karenmb

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2007
I think I will get this just so I can pick and choose which videos I want sent to Facebook. I don't want every video I send to YouTube to automatically upload to Facebook. And that's how it works when you link FB to YT...all or nothing.

Streaming would be nice though.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Good thing while I am out and about shooting with my awesome video camera on my 3gs I can wait until I am back home a week later to upload them. No wifi here.

But hay; I still get to pay AT&T that Data... whoopee.

Nice wasted POS crippled xxxxxxxxxx...

Whatever 

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Wow, how incredible... an app store full of millions of apps...

...that do absolutely NOTHING. great. Sure glad I have such a pretty paperweight that cant' match the functionality of every other damned smartphone on the market.

jglavin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
Let's hope the FCC investigates all these crippled apps and the reasoning behind them.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I think this is great! I don't need live streaming and like the fact I can pick and choose where to upload the video. My YouTube subscribers are a different audience than my Facebook friends.

dwhit

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2009
I would agree *except* if this app actually uploads a full quality version of the video (other clients seem to compress the hell out of it before uploading).

Anyone know if this app compresses before uploading or not?

kenkamm

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Wow! So much whining. If you don't like your Iphone...get something else.
No, see, we LIKE our iphone. This is why it PISSES us off that we get crippled versions of apps on other platforms.

We love the iPhone for what it DOES have. That does not mean we're not allowed to moan about what it COULD BE but ISN'T because of stupid crap like this.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
I was also disappointed with the limited usability of this app. But, I did converse with someone who works for qik and she informed me that they have already submitted an update for this app that will allow streaming over a 3G connection. As much as I would love to see this update get approved by Apple I have my doubts that we will ever see it. I hope I'm wrong though.

richmonddjs

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
Richmond, Va.
once again, we get a worthless, crippled app....
apple and att really suck

EXACTLY!!

AT&T YOU SUCK! The dingleberrys you sell and verizons phones get to do everything on the wireless network. Why are you biting the hand (Apple Iphone) that feeds you to stay alive? Because your NETWORK SUCKS!

iphonetester

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Actually video uploads are much faster than native send to youtube, plus when the video is finally uploaded it is available immediately. I have uploaded one my videos and shared it on Facebook in 14 secs. Granted the video was short, but just publishing it on youtube natively took much longer. I am sure live streaming can be added later, plus I feel pleasantly different in my video posts to Facebook, as everyone always post youtube.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
First I thought that Apple finally opening up but then I have realized that not streaming app and not for 3G:eek:. Silly me I have uninstalled QIK from Cydia store to get this one:D. Now I have to revers it back again. Sigh.
For the Apple, despite I am the biggest fan of them, I am really tired of their closed ecosystem already. I fell like second class citizen on smartphone market. They can have this and we don't despite fact that we are on the same network. WTF APPLE!!! Getting tired here along with others.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.