Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kooolethan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
hello,

i am new to the mac world, to quote the great thinks of girls gone wild, this is my first time. i have the rosetta stone disk and i was trying to install it. the folder for the disk opens but nothing works. the .exe files all open in word and just look like gibberish. any file that ends in autorun asks me to choose an application to open it with.

i have no idea what to do. please help me.

thanks!
michael

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
You are trying to run the Windows installer. Does the disk have a file with a .dmg extension? If so, double click that. It should mount an image on your desktop that may either contain an installer or an application you can drag and drop into your Applications folder.

kooolethan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
no file like that.

all i see is dal, dah, apm, inf, ico, ttf, .9, bah, bal, daw, qdat, and exe.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
no file like that.

all i see is dal, dah, apm, inf, ico, ttf, .9, bah, bal, daw, qdat, and exe.
Then Rosetta Stone probably uses separate disks for Mac and Windows versions. You have the Windows disk and will not be able to install it for Mac OS X.

If you use VMWare or Parallels for running Windows on your Mac you could install what you have to run in Windows.

kooolethan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
again i am mac stupid so bare with me. i was told when i purchase this laptop that i would be able to run windows programs as well. i am pretty sure parallels was mentioned. how do i do this?

kooolethan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
i am looking at whats on my computer and i am begging to think that this did not come with my mac as i was told it would. they made it seem like it was a standard program that came with it.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
i am looking at whats on my computer and i am begging to think that this did not come with my mac as i was told it would. they made it seem like it was a standard program that came with it.

Boot Camp comes with the Mac. It lets you install Windows on a separate partition so you can have a dual-boot machine (i.e. either boot Mac or boot Windows, but not both simultaneously). Parallels (or VMWare Fusion) are both commercial applications. They let you run Windows in a virtual machine, so you can use Mac and Windows simultaneously. I use Fusion and it works well for me.

In any case you will need a full copy of MS Windows to install (either in Boot Camp, Parallels, or Fusion), and then run Windows so you can install your application in it. Windows does not come with Mac OS X. You'll need your own copy. Unless you bought your Mac from a place that sells it pre-bundled with Windows in a dual-boot or virtual machine setup.

There is plenty of information about Boot Camp, as well as Parallels or Fusion elsewhere in this forum and on the web. You'll have to decide which approach you want to take (dual boot with Boot Camp, or virtualization with Parallels/Fusion) and follow instructions for getting that going. Im not going to try and repeat instructions here since that info is readily available.

Or you could make the whole thing easier and get the Mac OS X version of Rosetta Stone. They have a money back guarantee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.