Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorPeppers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm new to mac and OS X. I've used uTorrent for years on windows and now they have a mac version out. However, i see a lot of mac users that use Transmission. So my question is which should i use? or which one is better? any experience with either one?

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Of those two, I'd pick Transmission.
However, I'd use Vuze over both of them because it actually reaches full DL/UL speeds.
That's my opinion for my situation. The best thing to do is use them all and see which one fits your situation the best.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
µTorrent. Better interface, and it's the one I use on Windows, as well.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
uTorrent. I had that problem on my uMBP. It [Transmission] was driving me nuts! I re-installed it, deleted preference files, everything. No dice. uTorrent may not have a better interface but it doesn't give you that dreadful problem. For torrents, UI really doesn't matter.

nout72

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
The Netherlands
I love Transmission for its ease and looks.
Especially the abiltiy to set the upload speed for each download is great.
Vuze is mostly much quicker in downloading, but I simply loathe its interface.

And therefore I use Transmission most of the time, taking the slower speeds for granted.

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Transmission upgrade made me switch to uTorrent

I was a big fan of Transmission ever since I switched to Mac a few years ago, based on the advice of these forums. It worked great, and importantly for me, was simple. But ever since I did an upgrade a month or two ago, Transmission became buggy and wouldn't open the torrents. I downloaded uTorrent, and...it just works. So it gets my vote. I'm sure there is some way to figure out what has gone wrong with Transmission, but if I wanted to have to figure out my computer, I would have saved a ton of money and stayed with Windows. So, sorry Transmission, you may go the way of Netscape...;)

tallguy

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Canada
Forget those two options and use Vuze. It seems to be much faster when downloading torrents. Not to mention the whole vuze network that is provided to you.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
I use Vuze. The UI is slow as compared to its lighter-weight alternatives, but torrent wise it's fast and has a great search function.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Transmission, especially since I found the remote web interface option, now I can see and control what's going on with downloads on my mac mini/media server at home on my iPhone/ MBP :D

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I absolutely love Transmission, it makes it easy to enable my paranoia and use the TOR proxies. I just run Vidalia and Transmission at the same time. Firefox also has a TOR plugin so it's dead simple to remain completely anonymous online which is a big deal for crazy ex-stoners like me.

Quicksilver00X

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
It just depends on what works best for you, both are pretty snappy with likable interface.
I've used both of them but i prefer utorrent just because it taps the full strength of my bandwidth.

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Using Transmission currently. If I would download a large torrent (as more than 4 GB) I'd do it through Parallels with uTorrent. The disk caching is a lot better with uTorrent for Windows.

I've tried Vuze and it sucks regardless of platform. UI slow as hell and speeds far from the maximum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.