Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
2 questions....

How on earth did this guy survive??? :eek: :confused:

And why did he keep his finger firmly on the trigger after the first one entered his skull??? :eek: :eek: :p

Rinky Dink Link

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
No!!!! That's just not right - talk about the luckiest man *still* alive that day.....

I've seen the pics of the guy shooting 1 nail into his head, but 6 is just unbelievable. Obviously wasn't his time to die....

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
edesignuk said:
haha, I read this in the metro this morning, how the hell did he manage to put 6 in his head :confused:

If the gun was set to automatic, well, the first shot might have stunned him and he couldn't let go fast enough....still damn scary

D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Mr. Anderson said:
If the gun was set to automatic, well, the first shot might have stunned him and he couldn't let go fast enough....still damn scary

D
I would be very surprised if an nail gun had an auto mode, surely that'd be a HUGE safety risk :eek:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
edesignuk said:
I would be very surprised if an nail gun had an auto mode, surely that'd be a HUGE safety risk :eek:

"His colleagues said Isidro was using a nailgun that has both manual and fully automatic settings," said deputy sheriff Dan McPherson.

Lawsuit?

D

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
edesignuk said:

that's what I thought... :confused: the ones I've used didn't have an 'auto' setting, and you had to have them on a surface, and push them down before they'll fire. If they had an 'auto' mode, then surely they'd as dangerous as a gun, especially in the hands of some not very smart 'brickie'. :eek: :p :p

6 nails though.... :eek: :p :p it'd be like a real life 'Pinhead' from Hellraiser wouldn't it... heheh one hell of a Halloween party costume! heheh

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
iGAV said:
2 questions....

How on earth did this guy survive??? :eek: :confused:

And why did he keep his finger firmly on the trigger after the first one entered his skull??? :eek: :eek: :p

Rinky Dink Link

I'd like to know how in the heck he did it. It doesn't sound like any nail gun I have ever used. Perhaps it's very old one or something. Nail guns I have used only shoot one nail per pull of the trigger, and there is also a safety switch that requires it to be pressed down on something.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I've seen guys put duct tape over the tip to bypass the saftey feature. It helps them move faster. I don't allow that type of stuff on my job sites. I've never seen a fully automatic nail gun.

&RU

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Ummm...

Automatic or not, they were in the back of his scull and spine. Try poking yourself in the back of your head, now think of doing that with something the size and weight of a power drill -- oh, and it hurts.

Those x-rays look like someone waltzed up behind him and let him have it.

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003
&RU said:
Automatic or not, they were in the back of his scull and spine. Try poking yourself in the back of your head, now think of doing that with something the size and weight of a power drill -- oh, and it hurts.

Those x-rays look like someone waltzed up behind him and let him have it.

Yeah, I can barely brush my hair back there. It gets even harder as your hand moves farther back away from the skull surface, which it seems like it would need to do to be holding the thing at the right angle.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That is an amazing story, an angel watching over him. I'm also surprised that he's not paralyzed by the nail that hit his spinal column. Can't imagine why the gun would have an automatic setting either. :eek:

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
maybe he has seen "Hellraiser" one time too often... ;)

pinhead.gif

vSpacken

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
We need to ban nail guns, now.
We need to subject automatic nail guns to a $200 federal tax, and stop the importation of new automatic nail guns into the country.
We need to have background checks and 10 day cooling off periods for people that want to buy nail guns.
We need to have a loaded nail chamber indicator on new nail guns sold.
We need to have Smart nail gun technology that only allows the owner to fire the nail gun.

:D :D :D :eek:

krimson

macrumors 65816
this reminds me of that guy that fell into a wood chippper last week.

-----
Tree Trimmer Killed By Wood Chipper
April 30, 2004 - A tree-service employee in Florida fell into a wood chipper and was killed instantly, police said.

The incident happened Thursday in Hillsborough County near Tampa.

Police said Gordon McKay, 51, died instantly when he fell into the chipper.

Detectives believe McKay was trying to clear a jam in the chipper. He reportedly climbed into the chipper and kicked a large bundle of branches when the machine pulled half his body through the mechanism.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
As mactastic mentioned, I've never heard of an automatic nail gun in the sense you think of a machine gun. What this is probably referring to is a mechanism that allows the gun to fire by depressing the safety. This allows you to hold down the trigger and slap the gun against a surface to fire. It makes for extremely rapid progress, but people have been known to nail right across their hand or foot while nailing off a stretch. :D

That guy didn't do that to himself and if the police believe for one moment that he did, then they are seriously messed up. It would require picking the gun up and tapping it against your neck six times in order to do that. You would never have the gun behind your head like that for any purpose while working. No accident would fire the gun six times. Someone did this to him. Possibly an argument. But not an accident at all.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Ok, if there is any way this happened accidentally, I think I've come up with a likely scenario. The article says he slipped. He has two nails through the right side of his skull and four through the back.

Possibly, somehow, as he fell, the gun or his arm caught on something so that it was positioned behind his head. Now to actually get the gun to fire six times in rapid succession seems complicated, but I have seen a gun recoil after firing into a hard surface. Now if he is holding the gun loosely, it is possible that the gun recoiled, lifting itself far enough off his head to reactivate the safety. Gravity then caused the gun to fall back against his head, firing again and recoiling again due to the hardness of his skull. This happened 4 times before his head slumped over when he fired 2 to the side of his skull as the gun slipped off. As you can see in the x-ray, the 2 on the side were much less accurate.

However, that seems like an incredibly impossible sequence anyhow, and I still can't imagine that that isn't the result of foul play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.