Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
3.5mm male Stereo jack to 2x 1/4" mono jack female

I would like to basically use my macbook to record from 2 sources and I reckon this is an easy way.

so the 3.5mm male stereo jack plugs into the macbook and then a mic and acoustic guitar will plug their mono 1/4" jacks into the other end of the cable I would like.

Could anyone help me find this cable to buy in the UK please?

I've tested this method by wiring up some crappy cables together and on my audio program I can then apply different effects and levels to each mono signal in turn and also make each mono signal into a different joint stereo source to play out both left and right speakers.

thanks in advance.
Luke.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
I know Thomann has a 1/8 TRS -> 2x 1/4 TS, but...

Before that, are you sure it even works with the mics you have? The inputs on most new Macs are line-level, and do not have amplification for mic-level inputs.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I will be using an electro/acoustic guitar and a mic. I have tested it and it does work, probably not as well as a proper external sound card but I'm not willing to pay that amount. The results are alright considering it will cost about £5.

The cable you have shown is the right stereo jack but the 1/4 inch jacks need to be female to I can connect my mic to it. The mic has the xlr connection on the back so... I basically need a small adapter/cable

Thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If anyone will have this Hosa will. Get their catalog and dealer list here
http://www.hosatech.com/catalog/catalog.php

But your best bet is a local music store. Then you can look at what they have and figure out what will work. Likely you will have to buy a 1/4 inch version of the splitter cable then by a 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm adaptor. The last time I needed something like this I just cut a couple cables I had in half and soldered the cut ends.

EDIT:
Hosa part number YMP-137 List price is $7

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I get all my cables made from procablesnsound.com
They're amazing quality cables, built to order, from a really nice family. I know they could make you what you're looking for pretty easily.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I can't recal if the input is actually stereo or not, if it was working with your mic already, it might be a mono input with bias voltage present on the ring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.