Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boxheed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
Hey now! I'm very close to JailBreaking my 1st IPhone ever but I still have some questions I need answered before I make the leap to do it........ Do the JB programs take up much memory/space on the IPhone 3g V2.2? How many kb/mb are they each? Also, I've read others' posts and I'm curious if a JBed phone has more of a "lag" compared to a stock one? Please let me know, even if it is a minor one. Thanks for the help!

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
No.

Jailbreaking does not have any impact on performance.

A word of caution though: while the jailbreaking process does not cause performance problems, it does make it possible to install some software that has been known to cause performance problems. Things like WinterBoard, MobileSubstrate, and Intelliscreen will take up additional RAM (and a bit of CPU time). Sometimes the performance cost of such features is worth it to some users, other times it's not.

Personally I don't use WinterBoard (due to the RAM usage), although my phone is jailbroken. I've got a ton of packages installed from various Cydia repos, and have experienced exactly zero performance problems.

Boxheed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply! I know this is gonna be a dumb question, but I don't claim to be a computer wiz in the least bit, so........... if I were one of the people who decided the performance cost was not worth the feature and I proceeded to delete the program..... it is 100% gone and will not take up any RAM, right? The performance problems it may have caused would be gone also, and the phone would be as quick as it was before, correct?

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply! I know this is gonna be a dumb question, but I don't claim to be a computer wiz in the least bit, so........... if I were one of the people who decided the performance cost was not worth the feature and I proceeded to delete the program..... it is 100% gone and will not take up any RAM, right? The performance problems it may have caused would be gone also, and the phone would be as quick as it was before, correct?

It depends on what it is that's causing trouble.

The performance issues caused by WinterBoard and MobileSubstrate (the most common culprits) will indeed disappear if you remove the corresponding packages. I can't comment on Intelliscreen (not having ever used it myself), but I suspect that the same applies to it.

jmann

macrumors 604

If you click restore in iTunes it will erase any signs of jailbreaking, and it will be like brand new. :)

equlizer

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
it slows down depending what you install:D I just un-installed a bunch of things and shes a lot quicker now.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
it slows down depending what you install:D I just un-installed a bunch of things and shes a lot quicker now.

Same here. I was using an extensive theme for a while, and there was lag. Not a great deal of lag, but enough to notice. I decided to nix the theme (I was getting bored of it), and went with what you see below (I crossed out my real name where the Carrier logo usually is), plus the AOL "You've Got Mail" for when I get email, and Status Notifier. Of course, I have a bunch of Apps (Backgrounder, NES Emulator, Cycorder, etc) that I got for Cydia, but those wouldn't affect performance unless I'm using them.

I really like it- it's clean and simple.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 741

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Do a Google search. Regardless of what some of these posters report thousands of others complain about lag from jB'n iphones.

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Do a Google search. Regardless of what some of these posters report thousands of others complain about lag from jB'n iphones.

Don't listen to OrangeDog, he's totally against Jailbreaking so is bound to be biased.

I've had my phone jailbroken since day one. The jailbreaking alone causes no performance issues. Installing things like winterboard and intelliscreen that run constantly are a drain on memory and your battery. Stay clear of these. E

Even installing things like SBSettings and backgrounder causes little memory drain if you know how to use them properly.

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Yep and your non biased?

Winterboard is one of the MOST popular thing installed on JB iPhones.

So jailbreaking alone doesn't cause a lag, it's what you do with a jailbroken phone that causes the lag. I dont have winterboard, intelliscreen etc because I know it will slow down my phone. I do however use SBSettings, Iphonevideorecorder, swirlymms because thats what I installed it for.

I am not being biased, I am well aware of the downfalls of jailbreaking. You, however, are close minded.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
as apposed to using winterboard a person could Manualy SSH the desired Theme they want, not sure how that would have an effect on lag not to mention that they would be limited to that theme only

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
as apposed to using winterboard a person could Manualy SSH the desired Theme they want, not sure how that would have an effect on lag not to mention that they would be limited to that theme only

That's actually a good way to customize while avoiding the lag. That said, it's a lot tricker, and you stand a good chance of borking your phone if you don't know what you're doing.

And OrangeDog: Seriously. Your logic sucks. It's equivalent to saying that "Cars cause accidents because some people are bad drivers." Please, for the benefit of all new users, stop spreading FUD.

jdzialak

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
I just put my JB'ed 2G (on TMO) up against a stock AT&T 3G and speed tested them against each other.

I have Intelliscreen, Bluebird theme, Winterboard, and Status Notifier installed, to name a few...

The 3g opened SMS faster by about a second on first try. Closing SMS and re-opening a few more times had them opening simultaneously.
Email was about the same. 1st try was faster on the 3G.
Safari opened faster on my 2G...go figure.

Joe

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Apple intentionally did not allow running apps in the background as the iphone is limited in power(like any cell phone, or computer for that matter).

Jailbrake programs do not have to live by apples code, so you can have 10 running at once, at your own peril. Just think of running a video, safari, office, etc all at once on your computer.

If you find your phone slowing(I surely don't), be more selective in what you run. No big deal.

egk69

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
This have been said since post #2, but anyways.

I Jailbroke my 3G, just what they said, it depends on what you install on it, I have winterboard and a few other apps, and its kinda laggy some times, and the apps (every app) crash every now and then ,but its still better and faster that any other windows mobile phone i've used.

MINE (with winterboard and who knows what other apps) its slower than what it was before, kinda annoying sometimes, but anyways I can handle it. Im thinking of just modify the files on the phone via SSH , cuase I only use a few different Icons, and a few things, and I never change it and I think I never will, so I may do that and delete winterboard.

The 1st few days I use it, Jailbroken , but CLEAN (without apps at all) i was exactly the same as it was before jailbreaking it, I test it with my Bro's iPhone and both Perform exactly the same

carebearstare

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
mine seems to lag through basic things like even typing and scrolling. and when i play need for speed i get choppy frames and long loading times. the only thing i dl-ed was cycorder and memtool. any idea what the problem is?

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
Jailbreaking itself should not slow down the phone. The applications that you install however, may or may not slow it down. Winterboard does incur some performance penalty. You can always uninstall resource hungry application anytime.

carebearstare

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
yea...exactly but i dont think the video recorder is very memory consuming. i do have apps dl-ed from iphone like aim, sparta, and need for speed. dunno if those are the problem

chrisgpix

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2008
New Zealand
crashing

I used to have my phone Jailbroken mainly for tethering but thankfully with 3.0 that is longer necessary. I found my phone VERY unreliable in a jailbroken state, the best fault being that the phone would ring but the screen would stay blank meaning you couldn't take the call!...nightmare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.