Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
help! i've been trying to get classic to work for ages. i get it in my head to try again every once in a while, then when i fail miserably, i let it set again.

my problem is this: i want to run a program on classic, but after classic starts i get an error that says "quicktime streaming extras not installed". so i downloaded quicktime and installed it, but it gives me an error that says quickitime cannot install streaming extras because open transport was not installed. now, i've looked around on the web and found that open transport was some kind of networking protocol for os9. does anyone have any suggestions on how to make my computer go?

it's not as simple as some have suggested, like just popping in my original imac restore disk and restoring classic. i tried that, it told me it was going to format my drive, so i declined to let it run its course.

thank you so very much.

John

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
If you can boot into OS 9 then do so and run Software Update. That should do it for you. If you have a new Macc and can't boot to OS 9 I'm not sure what to do--I don't think Software Update runs in classic.

Can't you just click ok to get past all those Quiccktime warnings? I'm pretty sure I've done that before.

chv400

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2003
Houston, TX
In system preferences there is an advanced pane and there is a pull down menu that says open extension manager. it might turn out that what it thinks isn't installed could just be turned off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.