Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbowlin17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
I just reinstalled Tiger on my PB G4 and started software updates. The first set of updates went flawlessly, and it rebooted. The second set of updates installed, and told me to reboot. I then did that, but it went to a login screen, which didn't occur the first time, and asked for my username and password. I have no password, so I typed in my username, and that didn't work. I then tried the name of my folder on my hard drive, but that didn't work either. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, unless your advice is to dump it for an intel mac. (that advice is greatly appreciated if you will pay for it though... :rolleyes:)

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
That's happened to me before on reinstalls. The easiest way is to boot off the disk then use utilities to reset the original administrator's password.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274
Sometimes that doesn't work so you have to either log in as root and create a new admin user and delete the new "computer provided admin" or you have to do a fresh install. No archive and install.

Best of luck.

dbowlin17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions, but i am curious how changing the password, when i have none will make a difference...

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions, but i am curious how changing the password, when i have none will make a difference...

The computer disagrees, which is why you need to reset the password.;)
As I said before, the same thing has happened to me a couple of times - a mistake in the users happens and it creates a passworded account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.