Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericksgotmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
So I'm getting my first car soon, I don't want some cheap stereo and tossed CD's everywhere and all that 1990's non-sense. This is my plan,

Mac Mini, custom painted all black- Mounted where the stereo would go.
All-in-one Card Reader mounted right by it.
8" touch screen for the Mac Mini
USB Hub/Extension Cords(?) Mounted onto the dashboard as well.

Any more ideas? I'm also going to put in a special spot for my iPhone 3GS, so it won't be hanging out of the cigg. charger. Maybe up on the front so I can use the GPS? Perhaps I'll just use Veency to view the iPhone's screen on the 8" touch screen.

My final question is this. Would a G4 iMac be enough to play music, movies, videos, surf the web, and other small things without being UNBEARABLY slow? I can find a G4 Mac Mini for around $300 but a newer Mac Mini for $500. What are your opinions?

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
There's no end of full installation reports on Google and YouTube. SSD drives seem to be a logical choice. Having a carputer isn't everyone's cup 'o tea.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I have a small Aopen mini pc on my car and they work great. I would think a G4 would be adequate for listening to mp3's and maybe a few vids.

Go to mp3car.com forums, thats a carpc forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.