Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pook-G4-Newbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
I have been given a PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz with 10 and 20 gig HD and 768 MB ram. It currently has OS9.2.2 and I want to put 10.3 on it.

I found a good deal on a full retail on ebay but on the page the seller wrote this:
"If you have a G4 Mac mini and are looking to restore your original software, this is the item for you. No other software is going to install on this computer, not even the Apple retail box CDs. We have the exact item you need. As a bonus, get the most stable and fastest iLife yet (especially suited to G4s), along with Quicken & AppleWorks too! Compatible with any G4 Mac mini. Requires 128 MB of RAM & internal or external DVD, Combo or Super Drive to install. "

Another buyer asked this question:
"Hi there! The OS X in this item is Mini, but the rest of the software programs (such as AppleWorks, iLife & Quicken) will load on ANY computer. For your Cube, I recommend item # 190298912266, 190298923750 or 190125157366. Or you can get item # 190298844282 if you don't need a printed license & manual. Any of those 4 recommended items will install on your computer (and just about ANY other computer). Once you have bought it, you can request that this item (the one you asked the question on) be added to your order for an additional $9.99. So for a very reasonable price you can have all of the items from this auction install onto your computer :) If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask using eBay's messaging system or CALL us."

This all lead me to believe that this OSX will not work on my G4.
But all of my other research tells me that it will work. I don't think that they mad a special osx 10.3 for mac mini's only.

I just need to know if I purchase this, will it work?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
The Mac Mini did originally ship with 10.3.7 for a while, so they could be the Mac Mini install discs. If this is the case, then they won't install on anything other than a Mac Mini. Honestly, I'd just find some Tiger discs and skip Panther. 10.3 has finally reached an age where its starting to lose lots of support including new versions of Safari and other updates. Tiger will run just fine on that system.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
If you still want panther, I have some universal install discs with the bundled iLife software on dvd.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
You have enough ram in it to run 10.4, though it will be painful with out a core image supported video card.

Pook-G4-Newbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
You have enough ram in it to run 10.4, though it will be painful with out a core image supported video card.

I do have enough ram but I am planning to max it out at 2G as soon as I can. I also plan on getting a either a Geforce or Radeon with core image support. I am not sure what to get cause I don't have a lot of money and I don't want to put to much money into this computer. On the other hand I also might do a cpu upgrade and then I would buy a really nice video card to go with. It has a great version of Final Cut on it already that I would love to do some editing on but I would need upgrades before I could utilize the programs full potential.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I don't know, make an offer on the two Panther install discs, I just sold someone else on Mac Rumors the Tiger install disc for 40 bucks plus shipping.

I also happen to have a video encoding and video capture card for the Mac that takes the PCI slot which I think you have on that Powermac. Let it go very cheap if you really want to edit. Practically new with all cables and booklets etc. VERY cheap and I think it worked on the Powermac G3 and early Powermac G4s like yours...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.