Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Photo of the Day

Weekly Photo Contest

Winner listed

Assignments

Monthly Photo Critique Threads

Last edited:

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I would like to open this sticky up for discussion a little bit so we can form some new/better guidelines in order for our contests to run a little smoother.

Some ideas from my end (coming from another forum that I am part of):

1. I don't think we should say "must start on Sunday and end Saturday", or anything of that sort. It should stay as a weekly contest, meaning from the first day the OP posts the next contest thread there will be 7 days until the contest closes. The judge should be given at least 48 hours in which to claim the winner. Then, the winner of that contest has 72 hours to post the next thread. If 72 hours pass and there is no new contest thread, then the #2 choice will be the one who has to start the next thread (and the #1 loses their turn) - which brings me to my next point.

2. The judge should list at least the top three pictures, and why they chose those three.

3. If someone wants their submission critiqued they should paste an asterisk next to the title of the picture. Yes, it is true that this may clutter up the thread, but I think it is important that everything gets critiqued and not only the best ones. People need to know why their photo wasn't considered the best.

4. Instead of option #3 above we could also do the following: I know there has been a critiquing thread that has been started. Individuals who would want critiquing could simply post their picture in our weekly contest and also in the critiquing thread. Then the individual could link to the critiquing thread in order for their picture to be commented on. Personally I don't like this idea, as I think it would make too much work for everyone going back and forth. The judge should try their hardest not too be swayed by what others say.

5. The contest shouldn't leave out people under 50 posts. If the picture is good, the picture is good! There should be no rules as to who can and cannot win. Just because someone won a few weeks ago shouldn't mean they can't win again any time soon. I say we try to keep this contest as open as possible, that way we can get more and more participation from everyone.

6. As for using the same topic we have already used as a contest, I would say that would be fine, as we already have quite a long list of topics. However, doing so could get boring over time, and it is always fun to try and capture new things and not the same thing over and over again. If the winner cannot think of a new topic they should visit some photography forums to get some ideas, and if all else fails then repeat a topic.

7. I don't think we should copy paste every single past contest into the first post of each contest. To me this doesn't really make much sense, I say just copy over the rules and that should be good enough. The sticky here will be the best place to track all of the contests, etc...

Please reply with what you think and what can be made better so things can run a little smoother here! All ideas are welcome and we can decide as a group what we want.

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
I think they're good ideas overall. I'll comment specifically on #7 because I brought it up. The reason I thought we should have something like that in place is so that it doesn't take four days for the winner to simply paste the rules and throw out an idea for the next contest.

I say just copy over the rules and that should be good enough.

I disagree, I think a link to this page should be included as well now that you've compiled the list of past contests. Thanks again. The winner can see what's been done, and get the next thread rolling not long after learning that they've won.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
3. If someone wants their submission critiqued they should paste an asterisk next to the title of the picture. Yes, it is true that this may clutter up the thread, but I think it is important that everything gets critiqued and not only the best ones. People need to know why their photo wasn't considered the best.

4. Instead of option #3 above we could also do the following: I know there has been a critiquing thread that has been started. Individuals who would want critiquing could simply post their picture in our weekly contest and also in the critiquing thread. Then the individual could link to the critiquing thread in order for their picture to be commented on. Personally I don't like this idea, as I think it would make too much work for everyone going back and forth. The judge should try their hardest not too be swayed by what others say.

Making the contest into a critique thread by law is a bad idea. We've had a few good weeks and some very generous judges, but if you make the thing too much of a chore, fewer people will want to participate. Having to judge and to critique all of the asterisked entries is a lot of work. Keep it simple.

I'm OK with your other suggestions.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I would like to open this sticky up for discussion a little bit so we can form some new/better guidelines in order for our contests to run a little smoother.

Some ideas from my end (coming from another forum that I am part of):

1. I don't think we should say "must start on Sunday and end Saturday", or anything of that sort. It should stay as a weekly contest, meaning from the first day the OP posts the next contest thread there will be 7 days until the contest closes. The judge should be given at least 48 hours in which to claim the winner. Then, the winner of that contest has 72 hours to post the next thread. If 72 hours pass and there is no new contest thread, then the #2 choice will be the one who has to start the next thread (and the #1 loses their turn) - which brings me to my next point.

So you're saying contests should run for up to 12+ days? I think I like the idea of doing 52 contests a year, one a week, and just trying to get some suggested timelines to make sure a contest starts and finishes in a 8 day time period, personally.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I apologize all for not keeping up with my duties here... Has been a tough beginning of the year for me, but I hope to stay up to date on this from now on.

*EDIT* All Updated now!

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Something to put out to the group:

For the Weekly Contest.. would anyone else like to have the theme appear in the subject line going forward?

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Something to put out to the group:

For the Weekly Contest.. would anyone else like to have the theme appear in the subject line going forward?

I like the idea

Sounds good, I'll change it for this week's one and see how people like it.

I opted for this style:

Weekly Photo Contest: Reflection (August 18 - 25)

Do people like this, or any other suggestions?…it'd be nice to keep the style consistent for future threads.

EDIT: also took out first line, which is a repeat of the thread title, hope that's ok.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Hey all,

I have been kinda lacking lately (OK, for awhile) in updating this... I apologize but would like to say, I am going to catch up today. Been extremely hectic here at work the past few months.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Ok, I am done updating the thread now with all winners and threads!

I wanted to know if I should also add in the "Fortnightly Challenges"?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Here are the current rules:-

Weekly Photo Contest : Title
Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

Over my time entering and supporting the thread I've noticed a few things.
1. People not reading the rules (especially number 3 that I've moved to number 2)
2. People not fully understanding the rules - not everyone has English as their first language.

So I say lets make it simple. I know there are now 6 rules but I hoped to make them shorter and clearer

Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo

2. Do not comment on photos in this thread

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, see time stamp of the first post in the thread (made by previous week's winner).

4. The Judge will chose the winner at the end of one week and provide as much feed back as possible.

5. The Winner starts a new thread with their topic/theme (and these rules)

6. Judges and Winners have 48 hours to return.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

Over my time entering and supporting the thread I've noticed a few things.
1. People not reading the rules (especially number 3 that I've moved to number 2)
2. People not fully understanding the rules - not everyone has English as their first language.

So I say lets make it simple. I know there are now 6 rules but I hoped to make them shorter and clearer

Rules:

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, see time stamp of the first post in the thread (made by previous week's winner).

4. The Judge will chose the winner at the end of one week and provide as much feed back as possible.

I like the briefer and more direct language that Chappers suggests. I would change #6 a little and add #7:

6. Judge has 24 hours to return, after which the previous week's 2nd place winner will have 24 hours. If neither shows then the contest will be judged by the first person to volunteer.
(I am only giving 24 hours because I think the judge should be monitoring his/her own thread, and can call a one day extension when "life happens.")

7. The winner will have 48 hours to post a new thread after which the 2nd place winner will have 24 hours to post. If neither one shows then the responsibilities will go to the first volunteer.

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland

Rules:

- I too am a fan of the shorter language, and I think we can incorporate your suggestions deep diver, while maintaining brief statements. I prepose the following suggestions:

------------

Weekly Photo Contest (Date - Date) - *topic here*

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Do not comment on photos in this thread until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest will run for exactly one week, starting from the time stamp of this here post.

4. The Judge will chose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner at the end of one week and provide as much feedback as possible.

5. The Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.

6. At the end of the week, Judges will have 24 hours to make a decision and Winners will have 48 hours to post the new contest.

Previous contests can be found here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/580184/

And these rules are to be attached to the top of every thread. Good luck!

--------------

yes... no? cooking up a theme now..

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
Oh yeah- I hate to add another rule to the mix, but maybe this can be added to a current one...

Photos must be uploaded to MR forum.

The reason i say this, is when looking back at some of the previous contests, there are far too many 'sorry this picture is unavailable' images that were once hosted on flickr. maybe the person took down their account, or renamed the image, or or... but it's a shame that they go poof from the archive. Therefore maybe images can be hosted in alternative ways, but having them all posted within the forum here will definitely provide the longest term survival. Anyone agree + which rule this should be added to? .. maybe the first?

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
Hey folks, sorry to say I bit the bullet after waiting for a reply. I've stuck to the basic rules and written them as short and simple as possible. Hopefully they are easy to follow and clearly decided upon by the next contest.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Hey folks, sorry to say I bit the bullet after waiting for a reply. I've stuck to the basic rules and written them as short and simple as possible. Hopefully they are easy to follow and clearly decided upon by the next contest.

Good job on the new rules - I mostly like them but can we change the word "refrain" to "do not" - its the most common rule to be broken so I made it more direct. You currently have the power to change the thread.

Cheers

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
Good job on the new rules - I mostly like them but can we change the word "refrain" to "do not" - its the most common rule to be broken so I made it more direct. You currently have the power to change the thread.

Cheers

Sure- it's changed.. I had it as 'do not' for a while.. but it sounds overly authoritarian, especially after saying 'only one..' - but refrain is hardly everyday language even if it sounds more polite... soo 'do not' it is. cheers

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Sure- it's changed.. I had it as 'do not' for a while.. but it sounds overly authoritarian, especially after saying 'only one..' - but refrain is hardly everyday language even if it sounds more polite... soo 'do not' it is. cheers

Yes it is a bit authoritarian but I think your addition of the word "Please" is a good thing. I didn't want to be rude - just direct.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
How about making the original post a guide so anybody can edit it instead of just 1 person doing it? Might keep it more updated.

willamtarker

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
Thanks for the list of links of nice picture threads. I appreciate your effort and time you spent to gather and post this information. Thank you. :)

elan123

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
How about making the original post a guide so anybody can edit it instead of just 1 person doing it? Might keep it more updated.
543.jpg

Good call ... from a year ago :)

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I got a PM about updating this thread (since it has been like 3 years). I have now subscribed to this thread with weekly notifications so that I remember to keep it updated. I will start working on updating my original post tonight and let's see how far I get...

* EDIT 1: Photo of the day threads all up to date through January 2013 *

** EDIT 2: Making my way through the Weekly Photo Contest threads, I am into the middle of 2011... **

*** EDIT 3: All Done!!! Ended up adding almost 150 "Weekly Photo Contest" threads and probably 40 "Photo of the Day" threads. Hopefully I linked everything up correctly and got all the winners right! ***

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.