Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashimaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Hello,

I am wondering if the new Western Digital 1TB 2.5-inch (Scorpio Blue) harddrive will fit in the Macbook Unibody 13" (Late 2008). There have been mixed feelings about this when I browsed the web (b/c of the difference in height with 9.5mm drives), so I am wondering if anyone installed one (or have installed a 12.5mm tall drive in the system).

Thanks in advance!

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Could you post a link to the drive? I wasn't aware there were 1TB 2.5" drives around.

EDIT: did a search for myself. The drive is 12.5 mm tall. It won't fit.

mashimaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Sources?

Now here's the thing, there have been reports that it will fit for this model. Anyone else? Btw, the model i'm referring to is the one with the removable door, not the macbook pro 13 inch.

Here is my source, I'm just wondering if anyone installed a 12.5mm drive like the this one in this specific macbook model.
https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-754416.html

Salgonza

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
Here is what i suggest and what i plan on doing as soon as i get paid. Im going to buy one and try it for myself. And if it doesn't work it doesn't. Hopefully it will fit though.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
To my knowledge, it will fit. I base this upon everything that I've heard and read. However, for every reference that I can find to say it will fit, I can read another that says it won't. I think the confusion is because the word MacBook has become so many different cases (poly, aluminum, pro). But it's only the aluminum (aka Collector's Edition) MacBook late '08 to mid '09 that will work. I heard about it even when they were introduced last year when the 320GB and 500GB drives were 9's and 12's mixed.

Unfortunately, I'm not at a point in my storage needs where I need to grow out of my 320GB or i would give it a shot. I project that by the time I'm ready to upgrade, there will be a 9.5mm anyway and the price will drop - I hope.

jmcguckin

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
Akron, OH
to my knowledge, you will be able to fit the drive into your MacBook, but I've read several reports that the drive ends up being pressed up against the bottom panel, causing the sounds the hard drive makes to be transferred to the case (so it'd be more a matter of aesthetics than anything)... it's just a thought, but I'd feel much safer waiting until a 9.5mm profile 750GB/1TB drive is released before trying to install one in my MacBook- and with as quickly as hard drives are increasing in capacity, I see that happening fairly soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.