Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nakamura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
I have been looking at the 2 applications AppZapper and AppCleaner. I was just wondering which is the better application. I don't mind that you have to pay for one and not the other. From the screenshots AppCleaner looks like it is better than AppZapper because it has a list of Applications, Widgets to choose from where as AppZapper doesn't. What are your opinions?

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I personally use AppZapper, and it actually does have a list of the applications on your computer, as well as widgets. Since I'm not at my Mac right now (using a stupid Windows 2000 machine at work...) I can't remember exactly, but I believe there should be a little genie's lamp in the bottom left corner that when clicked gives a list of everything on your machine. I've been very satisfied with AppZapper so far. Hope this helps!

Dedonut

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2007
No. CA
AppCleaner

Re: AppCleaner: I know how it removes an unwanted app and related files, but I can't find an explanation (perhaps no one else needs one) of what the other features of AppCleaner do for sure. The Widgets Tab: I assume it lets you review, select, and delete individually, but under the Others Tab, I have 14 files displayed, ( e.g., AdobePDFViewer.plugin, Flash Player.plugin, iPhotoPhotocast.plugin, BOINCSaver.saver, AppleIntermediateCodec.component) and others. I don't know if this is showing me unnecessary files from previous versions of these apps or if these are files currently being used and I don't want to delete them. I use Adobe, and iPhoto, BOINC (a SETI manager) and probably Flash Player (if it's necessary for some websites). I just don't know and can't find what the Others Tab is showing me. Can anyone tell me?

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
These applications search your computer for the application name, you don't need a program to do it, there's lot of shell scripts that can do the job (search files on all system). I prefer to do this way :)

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
AppCleaner. It is free, AppZapper is not. They both do the same thing, and I feel AppCleaner does it better than AppZapper. Like another user already said, AppZapper is no longer supported, so that means no updates. However, AppCleaner gets updated a good amount. I'd go with AppCleaner.

warning9

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
I usually use AppZapper, but I also have recently installed Hazel. I "Zapped" about 5 or 6 applications with AppZapper, and as soon as I went to empty the trash, Hazel popped up and found some items that AppZapper didn't. So, I guess now I use a combination of the two.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
What about AppTrap vs AppCleaner? Both free but does AppCleaner do something AppTrap doesn't? I like how AppTrap is very unintrusive and simply works by dragging an app to the trashcan.

lilskaterpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
I think AppCleaner is the way to go!
Like mentioned above, AppZapper is not longer supported (2006) and I noticed AppCleaner does catch more files (Not sure if thats good files though...) then AppZapper does. For instance I tried to drag an application from the application folder to both of these programs and AppZapper posted 5 files to be deleted and AppCleaner found 16 files to be deleted. When I checked to see what files were found that AppZapper didnt find was crash reports.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
AppCleaner. It's free plus it sometimes picks up more app leftover files than AppZapper. And yeah, AppZapper is apparently no longer supported, too.

So just go with AppCleaner. But I personally use AppDelete, which is even better than the two, but costs $7.99 though.

lilskaterpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
AppCleaner. It's free plus it sometimes picks up more app leftover files than AppZapper. And yeah, AppZapper is apparently no longer supported, too.

So just go with AppCleaner. But I personally use AppDelete, which is even better than the two, but costs $7.99 though.
Im wanting to try AppDelete over AppCleaner, some reviews from other sites say its preferred over AppCleaner. I can try the trial version I guess...

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Im wanting to try AppDelete over AppCleaner, some reviews from other sites say its preferred over AppCleaner. I can try the trial version I guess...

Yeah, you can try both of them side by side and compare how many leftover files of a certain app they will pick. My own experiment proved AppDelete usually picked up more.

lilskaterpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
I used to use AppCleaner, but now I use CleanMyMac.
CleanMyMac looks really good but from reading comments, its a program that you should be carful with as for deleting files. Many user's deleted certain files and then applications stopped working... Is AppDelete a one click type program or is it simple to use?
Im totally new to Mac and trying to find whats best to use for certain programs.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
CleanMyMac looks really good but from reading comments, its a program that you should be carful with as for deleting files. Many user's deleted certain files and then applications stopped working... Is AppDelete a one click type program or is it simple to use?
Im totally new to Mac and trying to find whats best to use for certain programs.

AppDelete is pretty simple to use. Just open it and drag the app you want to delete into it, and it will automatically look for any files associated with that very app. Then you hit the "Delete" button and you're done!

lilskaterpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
AppDelete is pretty simple to use. Just open it and drag the app you want to delete into it, and it will automatically look for any files associated with that very app. Then you hit the "Delete" button and you're done!
Sounds good! Im trying it out now and very simple and I like.
So far AppDelete and AppCleaner are my recommended applications to use :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.