Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Globe and Mail reports that Rogers Wireless, the exclusive carrier for the iPhone in Canada has run out of stock of all iPhone models, notifying potential customers that they may have to wait several weeks before availability resumes.
Rogers is advising shoppers that it is out of stock of Apple's latest device, the iPhone 3GS, which was launched in June, as well as earlier models introduced last summer. The wireless carrier is telling visitors to its website that the newest device will be available again in the coming weeks. Rogers' discount brand, Fido, is also out of stock, although some Fido stores said they had older devices, with significantly less memory, available.
A Rogers spokesperson notes that while the company does have additional stock coming in on a regular basis, that supply is primarily being used to fill back orders, leading to delayed shipments for those ordering at this time. Apple has reportedly maintained a steady supply of iPhones to its own retail stores in Canada, evidently taking care of its own needs as a first priority before distributing the remainder of its Canadian iPhone allocation to Rogers.

The report also notes that Australia has also run dry of iPhones in recent weeks as Apple struggles to satisfy demand. Apple noted on its most recent earnings conference call last month that supplies of the iPhone 3GS were constrained in the wake of robust demand.

Article Link: iPhone in Short Supply in Canada and Australia

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
3GS FTW! I knew 3GS would do well, but I didn't think it would be doing THIS well. Pretty crazy to think about.

venasque

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
Why stock Apple stores in Canada (not that there are many) when average consumer is going to need to go through Rogers anyway? Is there an actual reason for this, other than greed (which is what is coming to mind).

I put my order in on July 2 and also don't have mine yet. If on Sept 15, Telus does annouce they are getting the iphone I might just cancel my order and stay with them. Even if I have to wait. As it is I'm going to be spending $300 to break my contract. If that is the case this short supply will literally have cost Rogers a client.

Tsuius

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
GTA
I have received a 3GS in August 3 days after the order was placed with Fido. They sent the wrong colour and again sent the right colour 4 days later even though they told me one the phone it would be weeks before I would see a shipment.

So, the phone reps seem to tell you one thing and the actual shipments arrive right away. For people waiting since June I would call somebody.
Both Rogers and Fido iPhone shipments come from the same warehouse.

venasque

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
So, the phone reps seem to tell you one thing and the actual shipments arrive right away. For people waiting since June I would call somebody. Both Rogers and Fido iPhone shipments come from the same warehouse.

I did call after a month to make sure I hadn't slipped through the cracks. My account was there in pending status waiting only on the iphone to come in before moving to the next stage. :(

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta
Last time I checked the Apple Stores in Canada don't sell the iPhone 3GS. You have to buy one through Fido or Rogers. So no iPhones in stock for Rogers and Fido mean no iPhones at all.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
Last time I checked the Apple Stores in Canada don't sell the iPhone 3GS. You have to buy one through Fido or Rogers. So no iPhones in stock for Rogers and Fido mean no iPhones at all.

Nope, they sell them at the Apple store, and will configure your account on Rogers / Fido. Buying my 3GS was easier at the Apple store than through the Rogers kiosk for the 3G.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
It's a product refresh, guys. There's a new iPhone coming on September 7. :apple:

Attachments

• OS_X2.JPG
    OS_X2.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 513

Boomchukalaka

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
I find it hard to believe after roll outs of two iPhone models in the past two years (US) that Apple has somehow miscalculated the demand for the 3GS when it was made available this summer. IMO the shortage of iPhones worldwide has more to do with the much rumored 5 million handsets ordered by China Telecom than any other factor.

casik: Where are you located?

venasque: Why do you think Telus will be carrying the iPhone? Did I miss news Rogers had lost it's exclusive carrier deal while I was on vacation?

onemilkid

macrumors newbie
Australia

I am German living in sydney. And I can only report, that they are selling this thing like crazy. On the subway it seems as every second person has got one by now.

It is very easy to get one: It comes free on most big contracts with four carriers, is avaliable on prepay at three carriers and from now on you can buy it unlocked straight from the Apple Store for a reasonable price.

The world can only hope that this way of selling catches on soon.

Sheradon

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2006
Apple Canada does not Sell Iphones

This is a bogus statement
Apple has reportedly maintained a steady supply of iPhones to its own retail stores in Canada, evidently taking care of its own needs as a first priority before distributing the remainder of its Canadian iPhone allocation to Rogers
Contrary to the USA Apple does not sell it's own IPhone. They do demonstrate the product but there is no process to buy at Apple and register the phone at either Rogers or Fido.

Only Rogers or Fido can sell the phone.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
They probably sell out quickly in Australia because people in China are importing them like crazy.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
Apple has reportedly maintained a steady supply of iPhones to its own retail stores in Canada, evidently taking care of its own needs as a first priority before distributing the remainder of its Canadian iPhone allocation to Rogers
Contrary to the USA Apple does not sell it's own IPhone. They do demonstrate the product but there is no process to buy at Apple and register the phone at either Rogers or Fido.

Thats funny because I purchased and activated a 3GS at an Apple store in Canada a few months ago.

(although Apple stores did not sell or activate the iPhone when it was 1st introduced - that is, when they 1st began selling the 3G)

candan9019

macrumors regular

You're the second person to say this before checking your facts, YES YOU CAN. They will activate your account on Rogers/Fido and everything.

They started offering it at the Apple Stores when they introduced the 3GS.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
include Philippines as well, lots here did reserved since July 15 for July 31 launch but still lots of them didnt get their 3GS until now.

akislot

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
Is there really a shortage?

My friend walked into a Fido store Monday night and picked up a 32GB 3GS with no problem. Apple Store said you could get one if you have a personal shopping appointment, so he went down to Fido (Eaton Centre) and walked out 10 minutes later with it.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
It's definitely very popular in Australia. When I got my 3GS barely three weeks ago, they only had 5 left and had gotten stock in only the day before. In the twenty minutes I was in the store (it was a Telstra Store, which is usually particularly quiet, not an Apple Store) there was at least 2 other people that enquired about it, and one of them had theirs set up at the same time as me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.