Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Vancouver
I have a 3G iPhone, and I don't have data on my phone.

I know with my old N95 that I could use the GPS on it when it is Offline, ie. without data. Can I do the same with the iPhone?
And if I can, does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm looking for something with at least maps, I get confused downtown really easily and having just a map would be nice, but having a walking gps or driving gps app would be great.
thanks

ps. i did a search and i didn't find anything

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Maps App

right on your Iphone just no turn to Turn. Copilot is about the cheapest good navigational app out there at $35 Navitron is really good some say better then tomtom but $65 and tomtom at 99 bucks a few others but what you describe Maps will do it. oh lots of walking apps at the app store too

Hmm

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2002
Keep in mind that Maps downloads data as you go, so you can't use it offline.

I believe xGPS will store all the maps needed for your particular route offline, but it will still need to go online to get them initially. And if you change your route or choose a new destination, it may need to go download more maps.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
what about just maps? ie. no turn by turn. but using it offline?

Nope. Once you leave the area of the map, you won't have anything, if you're offline (in airplane mode). So, if you were to go to someplace like France, you'd be SOL, since the map you'd have would be where you were the last time you were online. Also, if you wanted to go somewhere in the U.S. and didn't have access to the net, then when you left the area you are at, you'd again be SOL. The GPS would work, but you'd not have a map.

The poster above that talked about a JB app might be your best bet, since if you have the maps on your iPhone, then you can use the GPS feature to navigate.

boxstboy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2009
xGPS is probably your best solution for a free solution. It doesn't have that many features, though. And it doesn't lock your location to the road, like paid apps do.

It's a decent free solution, though, if you just want a basic GPS without features. Just connect to wifi to download the maps you want before you use it in your vehicle.

The best paid options are probably Copilot North America for 35 bucks, and G-map, that's 35 bucks per side of the country(yikes!).

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I found mobile navigator by navigon to be really good. But its pay for. If you own an iphone you should be able to atleast buy a cheaper one.

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Roadee is a couple of bucks. I have no idea if it works or not, but it's certainly cheap enough to try.

BNZ1

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
London
so what you guys are saying is that there is not an offline gps app...
crap

Get [app]Offmaps[/app]. I use this when overseas and I have no data. Not as nice as maps, but its pretty cheap and doesnt use data.

Obviously now there are all the TBT apps but they take ages to load and arent very user friendly for quick map use.

chris001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Vancouver
ok. so i might jsut buy a gps app..
stupid question; once i buy the app, does it use data?
i dont' have data, and i dont' want to spend $50 and i can't use the app.

anyone know?

thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.