Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
I am in the process of deciding which macbook pro to get for my new job. I am in the web design business and wanted to know if the glossy vs matte has any difference in color accuracy/difference in calibration.

Thanks!

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Glossy had a tendency to be super-saturated. Calibration will help, but matte is generally regarded as better for color accuracy.

emcham

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
it is the same LCD panel on either model, but the glass does interfere slightly with color accuracy i have heard.

Brandon Heat

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
just calibrate the monitor... and supersaturated is a bit strong of a word... i think the deeper blacks makes the colors have more tonal range and in effect seems to be more saturated... but i stared at the 15 matte... i dont think theres color differences at all... only in the blacks was there a difference slight possibly nonexistant difference...

emcham

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
What's been established? The article notes the glossy reflection issue, but notes no color accuracy difference between glossy and matte.

that was in reference to the LCD panels in the matte & glossy models being the same.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I have a 17 glossy UMBP and a 22" IPS Matte monitor.

After calibrating both with huey pro they look exactly the same, colors, blacks, saturation, the same.......except one has reflections.

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
After calibrating both with huey pro they look exactly the same, colors, blacks, saturation, the same.......except one has reflections.
That's really the issue isn't it? People are relying on their opinions based on the default out of the box colors. Judgments based on color needs to be made from computers that have been calibrated the same. Very few people actually calibrate their monitors so of course they are going to look different.

I think the problem is also because there are no set standard for colors out of the box. If there was then every manufacture will calibrated their monitors to match that standard before leaving the factory. I believe Apple uses the same color setting for both glossy and matte to make it easier for them but you can't use the same settings because one needs to compensate for the other in order to make them display the same colors.

One analogy that can be used is with two people with different eye glass prescriptions. We all know that 20/20 vision is what is consider correct but these two people will require two different eye glasses in order to see 20/20. Calibrating a monitor would be the equivalent of the eye glasses in order to see things the same. Basically one would require a stronger prescription than the other or one monitor will need more saturation boost in order to display the colors the same, etc, etc.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
has this been established with certainty?
Apple either puts 'glass' (it's not really glass, but whatever) on top, or it puts the matte plastic screen with aluminium bezel around it. The actual LCD panel used in the glossy and matte MBPs are the same. Why would they be different? It doesn't make any sense, and it would cost Apple more money, and be more trouble in terms of manufacturing, and keeping displays in stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.