Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mercury6966

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
So today I noticed that my Screen has a scratch on it I have no idea where it came from being that I just got this iphone a week ago and it has never been put in pockets thats had keys or anything in it and I know that keys really wont scratch it. anyone else had their screen scratched? I thought the screen was suppose to be very durable, I know i have not dropped it and there are no other scratches on the chrome part or anywhere on the phone so this random scartch is wierd. I wonder if it was already on it when i got it and just never saw it as when you have the phone on you cant see it.

MarceePauff

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Same thing happened to me a day or two after purchase. From what I gather, a grain of sand can do it. (Sand scratches glass.) So if your hand was dirty or you put in anywhere that might have had the smallest bit of dirt/gravel...poop happens. You'll live. It'll get scratched up. That's just what happens. Don't stress. :)

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I would think with the right product, in the right hands, these scratches can be buffed out fairly easily either by machine or hand. I mean, they even sell eyeglass stuff to remove scratches...

mercury6966

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
your right just sucks that it happened, with the money you pay for it just not fun to have scratches on it already. now that you know that its there thats all you can focus on when you use it lol. Apple needs to come up with some sort of replacement plan for cosmetic damage cause at this rate we are all going to be walking around with $600 scratched up pieces of metal .

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
what phones don't get scratched? really, it's still perfectly useable, and it will continue to be for a long time. enjoy what it does, and don't focus so much on how it looks.

mercury6966

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
well of course the phone will end up all beaten up and scratched up what phone does'nt with use but thats with long term use not a week later. I've been reading on here how people are talking about how the chrome part gets scratched up easy. So I wondering just how many people have had their screen scratched too

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
i noticed a small scratch on my phones screen yesterday, luck for me i have a power support screen protector on my phone so if the scratch ever begins to bother me too much i will just put on a different screen protector. I would highly recommend this product!

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Have a look at your last phone or iPod...

Mine are terrible. Hands down this is the most durable 'sans case' product I've had since a StarTac. I'm amazed at my inability to 'scuff it up'.... It must just be because it's so friggin' sweet no one even wants one scratch.

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
...I'm amazed at my inability to 'scuff it up'.... It must just be because it's so friggin' sweet no one even wants one scratch.

I am right there with you. It is amazing how durable (overall) the iPhone has turned out to be. I originally bought a clear case and returned it: it altered th form factor too much. Then I got the InvisiShield solution, which I loved on my iPod and have on the wrist/touch pad of my MacBook. Then those videos of people dropping and scratching there iPhones with keys came out.... the ones showing how extremely durable the iPhone is. Once I saw that, I returned the InvisiShield (saw the video before it actually arrived) and have been carrying my iPhone sans-any-covering in my front pocket ever since.
]

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I agree, naked. I think it is interesting that the people who say they have scratches, actually have scratched their screen protector, which is far less durable than the iPhone itself.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
I agree, naked. I think it is interesting that the people who say they have scratches, actually have scratched their screen protector, which is far less durable than the iPhone itself.

That is if they added a screen protector and I would think they know if they have and thus scratched it. The iPhone does not ship with one.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
No, I mean like the posters above who have purchased 3rd party screen savers.

I have had my iPhone in my pocket since iDay, I've dropped it, put keys in my pocket with it, loose change (not on purpose), never covered it and it is flawless. And nothing feels as nice as that naked iPhone.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
No, I mean like the posters above who have purchased 3rd party screen savers.

I have had my iPhone in my pocket since iDay, I've dropped it, put keys in my pocket with it, loose change (not on purpose), never covered it and it is flawless. And nothing feels as nice as that naked iPhone.

I understand, but I would think that if they did install a screen protector they would know that IT is what is scratched.

But I do agree that this phone is pretty tuff. I try not not scratch it, but I no longer use the case I bought for $30! It spends a lot of time in my pocket or car cradle, thats all, and it looks new.

MacJediDude

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
I say go naked.

Random wear and tear is part of the game.

Most people I know who are so anal about scratches are just thinking about resale value I plan on keeping my iPhone for a LONG time, so I would rather enjoy the beauty and simplicity of the design.

Many of my friends have iPods in special cases to "protect" them, but loose the ease of docking & also are looking thru a crappy scratched/banged up case all of the time.
This also gives them a false sense of security - When they finally take the case off, many times crud got into the case and has caused more damage than if they were naked.

iPhone = iNude ;)

JMW3215

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
just get the invisible shield

buy the invisible shield and you will never have to worry about a scratch again. it covers the whole phone, and is soo thin that it looks like theres nothing on your phone

check it out: http://www.invisibleshield.com

TRUST ME

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.