Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I have an extensive iTunes library that I maintain on my Mac Pro.

Is there anyway I can use my MacBook Air as an iPod and sync it with my Mac Pro to download selected iTunes content and playlists to my laptop?

In other words, I would like iTunes to see and treat my laptop as an iPod and when the laptop is on the network, I can sync it to my Mac Pro iTunes library? :confused:

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Don't know if you'll find exactly what you're looking for, but I do a similar thing using Windows Live Sync to keep my Music folders synced and it works great. My only gripe is that it doesn't seem to work under Snow Leopard. I'm sure that will be changed soon but as far as I know it's not working right now. I guess this is not as selective as an iPod-like sync..

trasheff

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
I keep my library on two machines and use AAsync to automatically sync them.

Although if you only want to copy a little I don't know whether there's a better way.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
There are lots of ways to sync the entire library.

I would like to sync selected playlists.

I wish my laptop could just show up in iTunes (on my Mac Pro) like an iPod. It's bizarre that Apple doesn't account for multi-mac users. Surely I'm not their only customer with two Mac's (a desktop and a laptop)?

DerHering

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
I'd love to have this

Is there any software engineer from apple reading this forum? I would love to have the feature mentioned above. It would be the greatest way of syncing many iTunes installations by just having them being treated like an i-device (iPod, iPhone).

This would mean that you define your "Master iTunes" and switch all other iTunes installations into the "iPod Mode". By doing so, the iTunes installation would be showing up as a device in your Master iTunes and could exactly be treated like an iPod. I would only have those files on my iPod Mode iTunes that I would need and I could decide exactly the same way as I can for my iPod.

Please, make this come real. I would need this much more than any Ping, Genius and other stuff.

I have three Macs here and a Mac Mini Server. It would be so great to have this easy way of syncing. And you have the software and everything already.

Please, make it happen. :)

Best
Hering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.