Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
First time user, trying to import spoken word mp3s that are on my desktop into Garage Band so I can edit them. Thought this would be simple, must be missing something. I drag into the track or space, I see an 'importing' message for an instant , but nothing appears in the audio track. and/or no new track is created.

These mp3 tracks are 44.1 , and play fine in iTunes. Can't figure out why they won't import.

help, please.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
It should work, but to be blunt trying to edit Mp3's is asking for problems, for a number of reasons. I would recommend converting them to wav or aiff or similar first. Uncompressed files are much better for apps like GarageBand to work with.
Or, you might consider an app like Fission, which claims to be able to edit MP3's with no further quality loss http://rogueamoeba.com/fission/

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Ah! OK. I'll try converting the mp3's first. But still, can't understand why they won't import. I've tried this several times in the past and given up. I'd really like to find out how to do this.

in the meantime, I'll find a way to convert the files and import them into Garage Band .

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
RE: importing mp3 files into GarageBand

RE:
"in the meantime, I'll find a way to convert the files and import them into Garage Band"

It's easy.

1. Have the mp3 file you wish to import on your desktop.

2. Launch GarageBand. Create a new (as-yet-empty) project.

3. If the new project is created with the default "grand piano" track, delete it from the project so that the timeline window is empty.

4. Go to the Track menu and choose "New Basic Track"

5. Reach down, "grab" your mp3 file with the mouse, and drag it and drop it over the beginning of the new track.

6. GB will convert and import the mp3 file.

7. Edit as necessary.

If you do this, and the file _still_ won't import, my guess is that there's something wrong with the mp3 file that you're trying to import - and that it's NOT a problem with GB.

- John

salientstimulus

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
It should work, but to be blunt trying to edit Mp3's is asking for problems, for a number of reasons. I would recommend converting them to wav or aiff or similar first. Uncompressed files are much better for apps like GarageBand to work with.
Or, you might consider an app like Fission, which claims to be able to edit MP3's with no further quality loss http://rogueamoeba.com/fission/

N.B. - Technically, GarageBand (or Logic, or anything else I know of) don't work with mp3s -- they immediately convert any compressed format to an uncompressed format as soon as you import it. Mp3 decoding would be a very inefficient thing to do real-time on the fly, given that you're also running digital effects, soft synths, recording, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.