Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
I just got a free G4 iMac 800 Mhz, and was hoping to use it to replace the G4 400 PowerMac I'm currently using. The one thing I forgot was that I had to buy a USB 2.0 card for the PowerMac and the iMac only has USB 1. I could swap all my USB 2 externals for FireWire ones, but that seems silly. Other than buying some type of network or FireWire storage appliance, I'm out of luck aren't I? Thanks -

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
I dont really understand the reference to using the computer as an iTunes server. What exactly is the problem?

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
RIght now I have a G4 PowerMac in the basement with about 2 TB of external drives that stream movies and music to the Apple TV in my living room. I thought that the iMac would look a bit cleaner (getting rid of the CRT), but USB 1 wouldn't be fast enough to stream video, would it? And there isn't any type of FireWire to USB 2 adapter? One of my drives is FireWire, but the rest are USB 2.

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Here's my guide. Too lazy to make a hyperlink, so here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/760268/.

Thanks for the info, but I guess I should have been more clear. I already have an iTunes server - the 400 MHz PowerMac. I was wanting to replace that with the G4 iMac, but my original question should have read - is there any way to get USB 2 speeds on a G4 iMac? Some sort of FireWire-USB adapter or something?

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Thanks for the info, but I guess I should have been more clear. I already have an iTunes server - the 400 MHz PowerMac. I was wanting to replace that with the G4 iMac, but my original question should have read - is there any way to get USB 2 speeds on a G4 iMac? Some sort of FireWire-USB adapter or something?

There are adapters for FW/USB, but they're hard to find and don't always work. However, USB 2 and USB 1.1 are backwards compatible, so you can use the iMac that way.

I'd just stick with the PowerMac, if you can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.