Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
I have tried following jav6454 instructions but I dont have a clue why its not working.

I have tried it on my imac 10.4.11

& also tonight i tried it on my macbook 10.5.8 but same thing happens.

Phone goes into recovery mode, or so itunes tells me anyway when i open it & have to go through a restore every time.

Im trying to unlock using redsnow 0.8

If i cant work out whats happening then I will have to go to one of those rip off merchants & im determined not to.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
When you say recovery mode you mean DFU mode (nothing on the screen) right?

When your phone is in DFU mode ignore any iTunes messages and close iTunes and proceed with the steps in RedSn0w. Once RedSn0w is done it will be out of DFU mode. For some reason if you want to get your phone out of DFU mode just hold the home button + power button down till you see the Apple logo.

Some people, including myself, have had problems with RedSn0w getting stuck in the process and saying waiting for phone to reboot. If this happens just unplug the phone from the connector and replug it back in and it should continue just fine.

Also, make sure your selecting firmware 3.0 NOT 3.01 when RedSn0w ask you for the file.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
When you say recovery mode you mean DFU mode (nothing on the screen) right?

When your phone is in DFU mode ignore any iTunes messages and close iTunes and proceed with the steps in RedSn0w. Once RedSn0w is done it will be out of DFU mode. For some reason if you want to get your phone out of DFU mode just hold the home button + power button down till you see the Apple logo.

Some people, including myself, have had problems with RedSn0w getting stuck in the process and saying waiting for phone to reboot. If this happens just unplug the phone from the connector and replug it back in and it should continue just fine.

Also, make sure your selecting firmware 3.0 NOT 3.01 when RedSn0w ask you for the file.[/QUOTE

how long does the reboot actually take ?

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
how long does the reboot actually take ?

If the phone appears to be stuck for about a min or so then unplug the cable and plug it back in. In other words, the reboot should not take long at all.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
If the phone appears to be stuck for about a min or so then unplug the cable and plug it back in. In other words, the reboot should not take long at all.

Hi, just wanted to say, THANKS!!! I had the same issue, redsn0w got stuck on waiting for reboot, for about 10 minutes, it was the first time that this had happened to me, as I´ve JB and UL iPhones in the past. Though, the reason I re JB my iPhone was to get 3.0.1 on it, but for some strange reason, I´m able to restore my phone to 3.0.1 via iTunes, but redsn0w won´t recognize the ISPW file, that I downloaded directly from iclarified.

Now, I´m restoring back to 3.0 and that´s when I got the waiting for reboot stuck. Now is being JB as I write.

Thanks!!!

BTW Any clue on the 3.0.1 issue? :confused:

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
juliana have you gotten it unlocked yet?

I havent had time to try again yet as it takes so much time to restore everything again when it fails, my phone number is due to be pacd over on tuesday so I will try once more myself before then, if not, Im gonna pay to unlock it!

Im still not sure wether my last attempt should be using osx tiger imac or my osx leopard laptop, if it makes a difference even???

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I successfully jailbroke on 10.5.8 with multiple phones.

Just make sure you have the latest updates

When you run redsn0w point to the 3.0 IPSW file.

Mine got stuck on the reboot after waiting for second stage. This happened on every phone. Simply unplug the connector, leave for a second on two, then plug back in. It should then just carry on.

Also, many people have reported problems when installing Cydia and Icy. I suggest you pick just one. I use Cydia.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
I successfully jailbroke on 10.5.8 with multiple phones.

Just make sure you have the latest updates

When you run redsn0w point to the 3.0 IPSW file.

Mine got stuck on the reboot after waiting for second stage. This happened on every phone. Simply unplug the connector, leave for a second on two, then plug back in. It should then just carry on.

Also, many people have reported problems when installing Cydia and Icy. I suggest you pick just one. I use Cydia.

It finally worked. THANKS SO MUCH

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Blinding.

Glad to be of assistance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.