Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
No baloney Tony!

Goatburg even advised it.

Ah Apple, so trustful to the lying cheating users we are.

-Omi

I am curious though why Apple is still pushing the Box Set (UK, £125) on Tiger users, implying that you need to go via that route…

Apple, Inc, being a tad ingenuous here?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I am curious though why Apple is still pushing the Box Set (UK, £125) on Tiger users, implying that you need to go via that route…

Apple sells single and family pack but there's no serial needed. I think both things are about conscience.

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
I paid for every Mac OS X version so far, and frankly I am GLAD it will work on a totally blank system, this means its a useful disk to me, instead of a headache. I keep a lot of peoples systems up and don't need any extra work.

How many Intel systems came with Tiger anyway? I would have to check and see... but its not some huge percentage of people still on 10.4

Plus, if they didn't jump to 10.5 why would they jump to 10.6 with less for the consumer up front? (Well I guess the $30 is a bit nice) We still don't know if NOT having 10.5 is against the EULA do we??

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
they are only baseing that off of what Uncle Walt says, and he could be getting a premium version (for all the fresh installs and upgrades he does.) but who knows.... we will have to wait until friday.

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
they are only baseing that off of what Uncle Walt says, and he could be getting a premium version (for all the fresh installs and upgrades he does.) but who knows.... we will have to wait until friday.

No people with the retail box (who got it early or in the mail) have said the SAME thing. Heck, pedro said the same thing days ago...

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005

I think it's to do with Snow Leopard not supporting the old versions of iLife that would have come on Tiger machines.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Apple sells single and family pack but there's no serial needed. I think both things are about conscience.
Yes, although in this case what has a good conscience to do with it?
Apple are misinforming Tiger "upgraders" by suggesting that their upgrade route is only possible by buying the Box Set.
If they were playing a fair game they would make it clear that the box set is not needed, only if you wanted to upgrade the iLife and iWork apps, and not tell their sales people to dish out wrong info.
Yes, a small detail, but still considering the price difference…

I think it's to do with Snow Leopard not supporting the old versions of iLife that would have come on Tiger machines.
Really?;)
I think you're completely wrong. ;)
I think so too.

Attachments

• Tiger upgrade.jpg
    Tiger upgrade.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 715

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Why do some people think that it's so wrong for Tiger users to be able to upgrade to Snow Leopard without paying the $129 for Leopard? Apple is the one screwing you all over, not the Tiger users. All Apple had to do was implement controls that require a Leopard installation in order for Snow Leopard to be installed. But I've seen numerous posts where people are calling Tiger users who are only paying $29 to upgrade cheaters, thieves, and the like. Get over it, people.

yoyomaster

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2009
Why do some people think that it's so wrong for Tiger users to be able to upgrade to Snow Leopard without paying the $129 for Leopard? Apple is the one screwing you all over, not the Tiger users. All Apple had to do was implement controls that require a Leopard installation in order for Snow Leopard to be installed. But I've seen numerous posts where people are calling Tiger users who are only paying $29 to upgrade cheaters, thieves, and the like. Get over it, people.

Technically it's against the policy stated by Apple, it's going to turn into installing the single user license disc on multiple computers argument. Quite frankly I didn't care, it's $30 for me either way.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

I don't mind that Tiger users get to upgrade cheaply.
More power to them.

My contention is with Apple, Inc. telling people that they have to buy the Box Set for £125 to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard… instead of being clear about the upgrade process.

Get over it yourself. ;)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Why do some people think that it's so wrong for Tiger users to be able to upgrade to Snow Leopard without paying the $129 for Leopard?

Not that I personally care, but it's a matter of feature set and precedent.

10.4 Tiger users are getting a crap-load of features for $29 including Time Machine, the Illuminous UI and all the goodies that came with Leopard. Then, they're getting the advantage of Snow Leopard's tweaks and refinements too.

The feature set list is completely different between 10.5 and 10.4 owners. Tiger owners are getting much more bang for their buck (even though Snow Leopard is cheap anyway) and the perceived value for them should be greater.

Additionally, Apple doesn't want to set a precedent that it's OK to skip a version of OS X.

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
Yes, although in this case what has a good conscience to do with it?
Apple are misinforming Tiger "upgraders" by suggesting that their upgrade route is only possible by buying the Box Set.
If they were playing a fair game they would make it clear that the box set is not needed, only if you wanted to upgrade the iLife and iWork apps, and not tell their sales people to dish out wrong info.
Yes, a small detail, but still considering the price difference…

Really?;)

I think so too.

I don't get it, are you suggesting Snow Leopard supports the old iLife '08? I always thought Apple ditched support for EOL software in new OS's

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I don't get it, are you suggesting Snow Leopard supports the old iLife '08? I always thought Apple ditched support for EOL software in new OS's

Supports or works?
Apple may not support iLife '08, but as far as I am aware iLife '08 works with Snow Leopard… why wouldn't they?
I have not seen anything to suggest that on Apple's site…

I am not trying to be contrary here, but if you know that iLife '08 doesn't work with Snow Leopard some links to prove it would be appreciated. ;)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Did y'all see this yet!? This is awesome for Tiger users! (Like me! :cool:)

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._leopard_disc_will_install_on_tiger_macs.html

Only if you are dishonest. And if you are dishonest, you could always get any MacOS X version for less than $29. If you are honest, you can get iLife, iWork and Snow Leopard for not much more than Leopard.

I can't understand your thinking. So you are basically saying that by relying on the honesty of its customers "Apple is screwing you all over". Here is what Apple has done: Honest Leopard users can get Snow Leopard at an excellent price. Honest Leopard users can do a "fresh install" which many want, and they can install Snow Leopard on a brand new hard drive if their old drive crashes or when they replace their hard drive with a bigger one. Honest Tiger users can get Leopard + Snow Leopard Upgrade + iWork + iLife for $169, which is just $40 for than Leopard and just $11 more than Leopard + Snow Leopard Upgrade. Dishonest users can be dishonest. So you are saying this is "screwing you all over", and if Apple prevented dishonest users from being dishonest, it wouldn't?

sam700nf

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2004
Well, for Tiger users, Good things come to those who wait.

I don't think Mossberg will have any issues. I would have figured the same thing out tomorrow when I attempt the same thing myself.

I will also probably still pay for the $50 family pack, for conscience only, since I have three computers at home (two Leopard and one Tiger).

I am just grateful Apple is allowing the upgrade from Tiger to Leopard, regardless of the "Tiger users need to spend $169" line that I was hearing to date.

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
Supports or works?
Apple may not support iLife '08, but as far as I am aware iLife '08 works with Snow Leopard… why wouldn't they?
I have not seen anything to suggest that on Apple's site…

I am not trying to be contrary here, but if you know that iLife '08 doesn't work with Snow Leopard some links to prove it would be appreciated. ;)

I never said it didn't work.
I suggested that the lack of official support for it, would be the driving reason for Apple suggesting Tiger users buy the box set, much like Adobe saying only CS4 is supported. They don't want to be bothered with all the testing and possible complaints.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I never said it didn't work.
I suggested that the lack of official support for it, would be the driving reason for Apple suggesting Tiger users buy the box set, much like Adobe saying only CS4 is supported. They don't want to be bothered with all the testing and possible complaints.

Then I misunderstood you. ;)
Although my points stands that I do not think that is good enough reason for Apple to knowingly overcharge people.

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
Then I misunderstood you. ;)
Although my points stands that I do not think that is good enough reason for Apple to knowingly overcharge people.

I completely agree, I just think it's sad that Apple don't want to be bothered doing a little testing and making it official that it supports '08. All because they would make less money if they did that.

admo

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
This greatly interests me, as an owner of a 2006 Mac Pro, with 10.4. If I can upgrade to 10.6 for just $30, I am all for it. Still, I would love iPhoto '09. I'll look for more evidence that 10.4 users can upgrade to 10.6. I'd still probably buy iLife 09 though!

mbcracken

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
I don't understand why people are complaining about paying $179 (now $149.99). iWork & iLife both retail for $79 each right? I know some will say they don't need those but some folks still on Tiger would like to see the newer iLife apps.

Cheers
Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.