Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ercanbas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
I love the design of the Macbook Air but I am sure they are looking to update the look soon. I went from a Rev A to a Rev B to a unibody Macbook but I miss the Air dearly. I do not want to sell my Macbook now and buy the Rev C if a new one is around the corner. Can anyone shine some light on when they think Rev D will be announced?

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Ya know. that was my fear when I just bought a brand new rev c model from Apple 2 weeks ago that this thing has been virtually unchanged (cosmetically) since it was released in January 2008.

Of course, Mac designs can last up to 3-4 years so I was just going to take the risk.

It's very likely and I have a few ideas for improvement.

1. Fix the freaking hinge! Everyone has problems with this. It needs to be more sturdy.
2. Make it smaller but removing all of the extra space around the keyboard and display.(kind of like the 12" PowerBook with edge to edge keyboard).
2. More ram (4gbs)
3. First Mac notebook with wireless USB
4. Improve iSight quality
5. shave .5 pounds off of the weight using some new technology
6. improve battery to 7 hours.

those specs would rock. I don't even want a speed boost, just give us those and charge the same.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
You definitely should wait for the next revision. Hopefully Apple will finally address the hardware defects.

As for specs, a 7-hour battery isn't happening simply because there is not enough room.

- 4 gigs of RAM, likely.
- 256 SSD, if it is available, it will be an option and I expect the 128 SSD will become the norm thus eliminating the HDD.
- Glass Trackpad, possibly, but currently it is too deep for the Air
- Glass / Black Border around bezel, not likely as it will increase weight too much

Let's just hope Apple avoids the Intel Integrated processors like the Black Plague. I'd rather then stick with Core 2 Duo and the newer NVIDIA chips than migrate to Nehalem and have to use Intel's trash.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Ya know. that was my fear when I just bought a brand new rev c model from Apple 2 weeks ago that this thing has been virtually unchanged (cosmetically) since it was released in January 2008.

Of course, Mac designs can last up to 3-4 years so I was just going to take the risk.

It's very likely and I have a few ideas for improvement.

1. Fix the freaking hinge! Everyone has problems with this. It needs to be more sturdy.
2. Make it smaller but removing all of the extra space around the keyboard and display.(kind of like the 12" PowerBook with edge to edge keyboard).
2. More ram (4gbs)
3. First Mac notebook with wireless USB
4. Improve iSight quality
5. shave .5 pounds off of the weight using some new technology
6. improve battery to 7 hours.

those specs would rock. I don't even want a speed boost, just give us those and charge the same.

1. I don't have a hinge problem. My hinge is kinda tight, I want it looser. My friend's Rev. C seems to be more loose than mine.
2. No comment
3. Yes
4. Maybe
5. No Comment
6. Right... can't change mass here. It's pretty light, how much lighter you want it to get?
7. Current battery technology makes it hard especially if you want thin and small. Maybe when battery technologies improve, we can hit 7 hours using a 58 wHr battery.

cjhunter

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
All good thoughts, but the original question was: when?

Any thoughts on when Rev D will be released?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I would say that September through November is possible IF Apple intends to use a Penryn CPU, Nvidia GPU, 256 GB SSD, and 4 GB RAM in a speed bump type upgrade and essentially a new high-end model. I think would be priced around $2199 with those specs.

If Apple waits for Arrandale, will be March 2010. I personally think that due to the Nvidia vs Intel licensing dispute, Apple will try to bump the MBA with same Penryn SL9600 CPU. That may include new rumored Nvidia GPU. Then will give Apple six to nine months to redesign MBA and determine which way to go with graphics in Arrandale CPU. Meaning to just include integrated Intel graphics or an alternative option.

I am about 75% convinced next MBA is Penryn plus spec bump new high-end model. About 20% convinced will wait for Arrandale, and 5% possibility MBA will no longer exist.

Seriously wonder based on a rumor I heard that it will become MB. However, may just have been MB I was hearing about that is thiner and plastic or carbon fiber which was confused as MBA initially. I think that's possible if yesterday's rumor about redesigned MB was true.

ercanbas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
I would say that September through November is possible IF Apple intends to use a Penryn CPU, Nvidia GPU, 256 GB SSD, and 4 GB RAM in a speed bump type upgrade and essentially a new high-end model. I think would be priced around $2199 with those specs.

If Apple waits for Arrandale, will be March 2010. I personally think that due to the Nvidia vs Intel licensing dispute, Apple will try to bump the MBA with same Penryn SL9600 CPU. That may include new rumored Nvidia GPU. Then will give Apple six to nine months to redesign MBA and determine which way to go with graphics in Arrandale CPU. Meaning to just include integrated Intel graphics or an alternative option.

I am about 75% convinced next MBA is Penryn plus spec bump new high-end model. About 20% convinced will wait for Arrandale, and 5% possibility MBA will no longer exist.

Seriously wonder based on a rumor I heard that it will become MB. However, may just have been MB I was hearing about that is thiner and plastic or carbon fiber which was confused as MBA initially. I think that's possible if yesterday's rumor about redesigned MB was true.

I really think that it makes more sense to nix the "Air" and make this the new 'redesigned Macbook' with a slew of different bto options.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
The Air will not be 'nixed', it's a very successful product for Apple, especially with the price drop ... before the price drop they where selling about 20,000 MBA's weekly ... that's respectable volume.

Why people write on this forum that it's a "failed product" I'll never understand ... they've likely never owned an Air that's for sure :)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The Air will not be 'nixed', it's a very successful product for Apple, especially with the price drop ... before the price drop they where selling about 20,000 MBA's weekly ... that's respectable volume.

Why people write on this forum that it's a "failed product" I'll never understand ... they've likely never owned an Air that's for sure :)

It's definitely NOT a failed product, but some people have negative impressions about it due to the original MBA's failures. Anyone who has given the rev B/C MBAs a chance with Nvidia GPU and SSD definitely love their MBA!

However, I do think Apple has lost a ton of money on the MBA development in the short-term... but it's becoming successful with lower pricing, at least I have to believe.

Finally, the 5% odds I say that the MBA doesn't exist is really just Apple taking the MBA branding off the table and creating a MB that is the former MBA.

Going back to the MB. A friend of mine has family at Apple. The family member has given him credible information in the past. He did say the MBA would not be updated when it was, claiming it would come later. It was a very minor update, so makes sense. Anyways, so my friend tells me two weeks ago that the MBA prototype seen was plastic or carbon fiber. It was thinner than a MB yet not quite as thin as the MBA is now. Worst part was thinks it was an Atom CPU, Ion Graphics, and included a built in optical drive (none of which sounds like an MBA). In addition, it absolutely was NON-UPGRADEABLE in ANY WAY. I think that means everything is soldered on the board and drive is probably somehow not serviceable too??? What I think the "insider" saw was the new MB and NOT the next MBA or an MBA prototype. It makes all the sense in the world with the MB rumor. So, still no insider or new news on what the next MBA might entail. Quite frankly, I was nervous about what I heard UNTIL the MB RUMOR the other day... that made perfect sense.

What I still pray is the MBA remains a LOW VOLTAGE CPU and not ultra low voltage, as that would be the end of my primary Mac capable MBA. A carbon fiber MBA doesn't interest me either. And the last thing I want is a little thicker to include an optical drive.

I am actually hopeful for an update or addition of a new high end MBA before the Arrandale CPU switchover. I would be very happy with the same exact CPU - SL9600. Throw in the Nvidia 200m GPU rumored last week, a 256 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM (or better yet two RAM slots), and glass trackpad. I don't care if we cannot get more battery power if it raises weight or adds to thickness.

Anyways, here's to a new MB, a new tablet, and a new MBA later this year!

ercanbas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008

I never said it will be nixed or that it is a failed product. Perhaps I should have reworded. What I meant was they probably will just rename it to a regular Macbook as they did with the MBP.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I never said it will be nixed or that it is a failed product. Perhaps I should have reworded. What I meant was they probably will just rename it to a regular Macbook as they did with the MBP.

I don't like that idea though because the connotation of it becoming a Macbook is that it's "less than" a MBP, as opposed to just "a different option".

(Keep in mind I'm a MBP owner, so I'm saying this to defend the Air as an owner of the product)

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I have at my disposal a June '09 15" and 13" MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air 1.86/128ssd, so I can comment on each with some experience.

Right now my computer of choice is the 13" MacBook Pro ... I recently had a week traveling for work followed by a week at the cottage in the Muskoka's and those two weeks convinced me that absolutely the MBA has it's place, but I no longer can agree it's a good primary machine, rather my recent testing/experience/observation has proven to me that MacBook Air is best as a secondary machine and 13" MBP a much better main machine for 'my' purpose at least.

That being said, the MBA has it's place, Apple has never suggested it's something that's it's not ... it is a 'niche' product, not sold or promoted as a main machine, I'm sure Apple doesn't want that either ... but it is a very very good computer in many respects, for lack of better words ... a 'netbook' for executives that want light weight, small footprint but also want a full sized screen and keyboard. It's exceeds the mark in all respects for that profile, there's nothing like it.

The Air, it's purpose, success and future I think gets negative comments here because people are expecting/wishing/hoping for something that is was never meant to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.