Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook iPhone developer Joe Hewitt reports that Facebook 3.0 [App Store, Free] has been approved by Apple and is now available in the App Store. While the App Store description still contains information for version 2.5, the actual download is now version 3.0.

A note posted on the company's Facebook for iPhone page last week detailed the numerous enhancements in the new version, and offered screenshots of the revamped interface.

174034-facebook_1.jpg

174035-facebook_2.jpg

Article Link: Facebook 3.0 Now Available in App Store

tclary

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
Ha!

I KNEW throwing a Palm Pre into a volcano would work! THANKS Facebook gods!!

londonmystery

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
London, UK
Itunes shows that update 3.0 is available but when you try and download it itunes then says no updates available. WTF. :):)

Worked eventually, just keep clicking on update.

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
it's about time. Had to launch the app store 3 times before it showed up. Off to sample it!

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Mine downloaded right off the bat. When I run it, I get a white screen for 20 seconds and then return to the main iphone icon screen. I'll try a reboot... :mad:

EDIT: I tried it once more before rebooting and now it's working. I hope it doesn't take three launches every time I want to use it...

greenhero

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Yes about time. After the head programmer picked fault the approval process i thought they would put his at the back of the line. Now when will the updated yahoo messenger app be released?

iphoneg33k

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
So far so good. Like how they made the menu nice and clean. All I need to figure out is how to make "status Update" be my default when I start it up.

Besides that I like it.
Thanks for the update.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Hmm. First impressions -

No more seeing people become friends. Boo.

Landscape works when typing messages. Woohoo!

Still can't copy and paste most of the app's text. For example, I can't copy fields from an event that might list a place name to look for it in Google Maps. That's extremely annoying. The address field will click through to maps, but sometimes people don't write their events with mobile compatability in mind...

When typing a message you now can't look at the message you're replying to. At all. That's really annoying if it's a long/complex reply to various questions. Cancelling the message wipes it, so you can't go back and forth like that either.

The photos tab itself only loads my albums, and has no facility to look at "photos of me" - for that I have to make extra clicks into my own profile. Odd UI decision.

Still doesn't seem to be the ability to tag a new person in an existing photograph. That has tripped me up before in a pub more than once.
EDIT: Oops, as pointed out below you can tag people. Ace.

Can't look at event walls for no apparent reason.

Chat does seem to actually work, which is good.

The notifications section does a pretty good job of replicating the desktop.

Messages are actually loading, which is an improvement on 2.0 and 2.5...

Still lots to do on this app, IMO.

Phazer

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta
I installed it... froze my iPhone once the app launched, and then had to hardboot my phone... now my phone won't turn back on for more than 5 seconds and i have to do a hard restore...

looks sweet tho... wish i was using it right now instead of waiting to get home to fix my phone!

Rob Mclovin

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Hmm. First impressions -

No more seeing people become friends. Boo. No one ever cared if Bettsy became friends with Susan!

Landscape works when typing messages. Woohoo!

Still can't copy and paste most of the app's text. For example, I can't copy fields from an event that might list a place name to look for it in Google Maps. That's extremely annoying. The address field will click through to maps, but sometimes people don't write their events with mobile compatability in mind...

When typing a message you now can't look at the message you're replying to. At all. That's really annoying if it's a long/complex reply to various questions. Cancelling the message wipes it, so you can't go back and forth like that either.

The photos tab itself only loads my albums, and has no facility to look at "photos of me" - for that I have to make extra clicks into my own profile. Odd UI decision. Go to "Profile, on the bottom click on Photos and there will be "Photos of Rob..."

Still doesn't seem to be the ability to tag a new person in an existing photograph. That has tripped me up before in a pub more than once.
In the old version, if you like held down one finger for 5 seconds, then tapped with a second finger, it would tag a photo"

Can't look at event walls for no apparent reason.

Chat does seem to actually work, which is good.

The notifications section does a pretty good job of replicating the desktop.

Messages are actually loading, which is an improvement on 2.0 and 2.5...

Still lots to do on this app, IMO.

Phazer

Most of everything you said can be done.

Answers in Bold.

Earley008

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
I was wondering as i can not find anywhere how to upload video i have the 3gs and thought the option was there on the fcebook page it did say it would be there. Any help?

dyler

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
I was wondering as i can not find anywhere how to upload video i have the 3gs and thought the option was there on the fcebook page it did say it would be there. Any help?

Just click the camera icon just the same way you upload a photo!!!

Earley008

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
Just click the camera icon just the same way you upload a photo!!!

I chose this and i select camera roll but only the photos are shown. i have no option to select the vids! am i still going wrong? Thnaks anyway

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.