Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael.Dribins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Hey Guys!

I'm sure that this topic has already been discussed but all that I've read elsewhere did not help at all.

Basically as part of updating my mac i want to fully uninstall Logic 8 and install Logic Studio 9.

I have tried using AppZapper and just moving Logic to trash but that only deletes like 180Mb. Wheres the actual thing is about 40Gb!

How can i get rid of them 40Gb???

:confused:

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Check your Application Support folders. I expect a ton of Logic related files must reside in there.

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Firstly, WHY do you want to delete all the content included with Logic Studio before installing Logic 9???

The Logic 9 installation is very intelligent and installs only additional content (1 extra jampack and a couple of other things too).

deej

Michael.Dribins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Re:

I want to delete it because i heard that on Logic 9 they used different encoding and it might clash with the previous libraries!

And i just want a clean version with out any traces of Logic 8!

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
I want to delete it because i heard that on Logic 9 they used different encoding and it might clash with the previous libraries!

And i just want a clean version with out any traces of Logic 8!

Where did you read that? I have experienced no problems with Logic 8 and 9 being on the same system. They co-exist together very nicely. I found many threads on apple discussions where others have same experience as me.

If you still want to remove all traces of Logic 8 I will write a list of where all files and folder are to delete.

deej

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
OK. For anyone that wants to / need to uninstall Logic 8 this is where all the files and folders are located.

I have not tried deleting all these files. In theory deleting all the below will remove Logic Studio completely from your system.

HD/Library/Application Support/Logic/
HD/Library/Application Support/Soundtrack Pro/
HD/Library/Application Support/WaveBurner/

HD/Library/Audio/Impulse Reponses/
(Impulse response files for Space Designer reverb unit)

*User*/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist
*User*/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Apple Loops for GarageBand/
HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Apple Loops for Soundtrack Pro/
HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/iLife Sound Effects/
HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Jam Pack 1/
HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Jam Pack Remix Tools/
HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Jam Pack Rhythm Section/
HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Jam Pack Symphony Orchestra/
HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Jam Pack World Music/
HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index/

Licence for Logic:
/Library/Application Support/ProApps/Logic Studio System ID

I think that's eveyrthing. You can look for receipts for the Logic studio apps and jampacks in
HD/Library/Receipts/

deej

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Basically as part of updating my mac i want to fully uninstall Logic 8 and install Logic Studio 9.

:confused:

Believe me, the bits don't sound different if they have been on your system disk for a while. Taking the Apple Jam Packs of the disk and then copying them right back will not make any difference.

Most of those large collections of files are not actually part of Logic. They are media files that are part of the package of "stuff" that coms with Logic.

Spotlight can help. Search for the name of the ap you want to delete and it will find the folder by that name in applications support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.