Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
This was the feature I wanted the most, however I cannot seem to find it nor have I been able to enable it.
Any help?

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
Yeah I know it's called substitutions, but I read this article where I read autocorrect. Either way I still can't find it, no matter what you want to call it.
I also know right click substitutes, however I read the feature for SL was similar to MS Word.
http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2200994/posts?page=9

So is an"autocorrect" like feature then not available. I don't want to have to fill in every word I want substituted for another. It would be nice to have a predefined list.

"With Friday's launch of Mac OS X Snow Leopard right around the corner, official reviews of Apple's latest operating system began rolling out last night.

One of the most interesting tidbits comes from Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal, who reports that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade advertised by Apple as being only for current Leopard users will in fact install on systems currently running Tiger. Apple's official policy is that Tiger users are required to purchase the Mac Box Set, which includes iLife '09 and iWork '09 in addition to Snow Leopard, for $169.
Quote:
And, for owners of Intel-based Macs who are still using the older Tiger version of the Mac OS, Apple is officially making Snow Leopard available only in a "boxed set" that includes other software and costs $169. The reasoning is that these folks never paid the $129 back in 2007 to upgrade to Leopard. But here's a tip: Apple concedes that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade will work properly on these Tiger-equipped Macs, so you can save the extra $140.
Overall, Mossberg found some nice new features in Snow Leopard, including Apple's new auto-correct for text, location-based automatic time zone updating, and "video screenshots" for recording on-screen actions. He also found, however, a number of bugs and glitches. Primarily related to third-party software and drivers, those bugs resulted in some frustration, leading Mossberg to provide Snow Leopard with only a lukewarm endorsement."

Attachments

• snowleo-090306-1.png
    snowleo-090306-1.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 244

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
That's a screen shot or Word's auto-correct feature. Not the one in SL.

Again, it is in "Language & Text" System Preference item under the "Text" tab. Did you look there? How can you miss it?

S-

axistech

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
RE: Autocorrect vs. Substitutions

I think what citron230 wants is autocorrect. It seems to me that autocorrect is a term used to describe what happens when you type a word wrong and it automatically makes the correction with no input from the user. I too am trying to figure out what is meant by a "new feature" in 10.6 dubbed "autocorrect".

There is nothing new about right-clicking on a word and choosing the correct spelling. I would prefer SL to "fix" 'teh' for me instead if me having to go back and right-click to fix the error.

Isn't Substitutions for replacing commonly used text, not fixing spelling errors?

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
I think what citron230 wants is autocorrect. It seems to me that autocorrect is a term used to describe what happens when you type a word wrong and it automatically makes the correction with no input from the user. I too am trying to figure out what is meant by a "new feature" in 10.6 dubbed "autocorrect".

There is nothing new about right-clicking on a word and choosing the correct spelling. I would prefer SL to "fix" 'teh' for me instead if me having to go back and right-click to fix the error.

Isn't Substitutions for replacing commonly used text, not fixing spelling errors?
There is no "autocorrect" in SL. What is in SL is "Substitutions" and, as I said previously, is in the "Language & Text" System Preference item under the "Text" tab.

"Substitutions", as has been mentioned elsewhere on MacRumors, does not work in all text fields. It does work in TextEdit so you can test it there.

S-

Faye

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
I think the second option on this context menu is the one in question?

Attachments

• Textreplacement.png
    Textreplacement.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 5,377

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
You are looking for:
Right Click>Spelling and Grammar>Correct Spelling Automatically

It's currently working for me. When I misspell a word, it fixes it for me automatically.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
You are looking for:
Right Click>Spelling and Grammar>Correct Spelling Automatically

It's currently working for me. When I misspell a word, it fixes it for me automatically.

That is the interface some applications provide to spelling correction and text substitutions (system prefs). That interface is not present in all apps, especially non-Apple apps, and it does not work in all text fields or applications.

S-

steflane

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
Auto Correct

Thanks, emt1. I had set that on my laptop, but couldn't remember how to do it and couldn't find the answer on spotlight, either. One thing I have noticed, is that if you type a word that is not recognized by the mac, it will change it to something else automatically, so you have to backspace and retype it the way you want it (ie. slang, or shortened version). Anyone know if you can add words that you use often to the mac dictionary so it won't change it when you type it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.