Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSurfHi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
California/Hawaii
Aloha All,
My iPhone 3 G S when I take a picture the picture does not show in the camera roll when I try to view! I deleted all my pictures in camera roll thinking when I take a picture it will not show in camera roll? Please help
p.s. I power off the phone and turn on and I cleared all pics from camera roll while sync.
Thank you.

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
My fiancé's iPhone 3G just recently started doing it too. When she takes the picture it will show in the little preview box in the lower left corner, but doesn't show in the camera roll at all. I have tried to restore and reset the phone with no luck. It's never been JB or anything. I think I'm just gonna have to take it to apple.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
My fiancé's iPhone 3G just recently started doing it too. When she takes the picture it will show in the little preview box in the lower left corner, but doesn't show in the camera roll at all. I have tried to restore and reset the phone with no luck. It's never been JB or anything. I think I'm just gonna have to take it to apple.

Did you try a reset all settings?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Aloha,
If I try the resetting will it wipe out all my contacts?

No, your contacts will not be affected one bit. You're doing a reset all settings (NOT an erase all content). The things that WILL happen will be that your home screen is changed, all your icons will be in different places, if you use wifi and have a password you'll have to reenter the password....I'm not sure if I'm forgetting anything. The main thing is that all your contacts, pic, apps will be left alone.

You can see this thread for more info:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/761046/

iSurfHi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
California/Hawaii
Camera roll not showing any pictures when viewing?

Hi There Aggie,
I did the reset all settings and i took some pictures and still you cannot view them still the same thing! What am i going to do?
Thanks....

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Hi There Aggie,
I did the reset all settings and i took some pictures and still you cannot view them still the same thing! What am i going to do?
Thanks....

Well, backup your contacts to Outlook (Windows) or Address Book (Mac), notes to Outlook or Mail(Mac), calendar to Outlook or iCal, apps to iTunes (make sure you transfer all purchases from the iPhone). It's also a good idea to copy the iTunes folder and any folders for the aforementioned programs to a safe place. Then, you can try restoring the phone as new. After the restore, you can sync the stuff you synced and see if that allows you to finally take pics and put them on the camera roll.

The restore as new will cause you to lose any SMS messages and game saves. Other than that, as long as you've made proper syncs, it won't be too much of a PITA.

Another solution is deleting the DCIM folder on your iPhone. I'd suggest the above first, but you could try using 3rd party software to delete that folder (I think iphonebrowser will do it).

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
Well, backup your contacts to Outlook (Windows) or Address Book (Mac), notes to Outlook or Mail(Mac), calendar to Outlook or iCal, apps to iTunes (make sure you transfer all purchases from the iPhone). It's also a good idea to copy the iTunes folder and any folders for the aforementioned programs to a safe place. Then, you can try restoring the phone as new. After the restore, you can sync the stuff you synced and see if that allows you to finally take pics and put them on the camera roll.

The restore as new will cause you to lose any SMS messages and game saves. Other than that, as long as you've made proper syncs, it won't be too much of a PITA.

Another solution is deleting the DCIM folder on your iPhone. I'd suggest the above first, but you could try using 3rd party software to delete that folder (I think iphonebrowser will do it).

DO NOT RESTORE, AND DO NOT DELETE THE DCIM FOLDER!
I did it much easier than that.

Aloha,
Thanks why does this happen?
its fursterating!

Have you taken/saved many pictures?
My problem was that the camera roll will not display any pictures with a file name over 10,000, it doesn't matter whether or not there are currently 10k images on the phone, as it remembers which number in the sequence is next:
http://www.appleiphoneschool.com/2009/07/30/camera-roll-cant-handle-10000-pictures/

Gimme a few minutes to install the software on my computer (I did it on my mother's computer), and I will give you directions.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
DO NOT RESTORE, AND DO NOT DELETE THE DCIM FOLDER!
I did it much easier than that.

Have you taken/saved many pictures?
My problem was that the camera roll will not display any pictures with a file name over 10,000, it doesn't matter whether or not there are currently 10k images on the phone, as it remembers which number in the sequence is next:
http://www.appleiphoneschool.com/2009/07/30/camera-roll-cant-handle-10000-pictures/

Gimme a few minutes to install the software on my computer (I did it on my mother's computer), and I will give you directions.

Yes, that was the 2nd option I suggested. That deletes the Apple folders in DCIM.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
Try this:
--Download and install iPhoneBrowser:
http://www.brothersoft.com/iphonebrowser-190579.html

Open iPhoneBrowser:
Go to the DCIM directory
Go to the .MISC subdirectory
On the right side, delete the Info.plist file, and only that file

Close iPhoneBrowser then disconnect your phone from your computer.
Restart, just for good measure.

This will allow your iPhone to save images using filenames that have already been used, but have been deleted from the phone.
It will not overwrite any images, it will simply bypass filenames if they are in use (it will use the next available filename).

Attachments

• camerarollfix.gif
    camerarollfix.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 710

iSurfHi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
California/Hawaii
camera roll not showing any pictures when viewing?

Aloha all,
I want to thank you for helping me out I fixed it had to back up contacts and restore and update I lost a lot of apps buts its all good! But the good news is my camera roll is working great now Thank you so much for all your help!
Mahalao~

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Aloha all,
I want to thank you for helping me out I fixed it had to back up contacts and restore and update I lost a lot of apps buts its all good! But the good news is my camera roll is working great now Thank you so much for all your help!
Mahalao~

You shouldn't have lost any apps. Did you transfer them over before you restored? If not, and you paid for them, you can still get them back w/o paying again. Just redownload.

sepat

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
ok so I deleted my plist file and it worked great. only problem now is, its been a few weeks and now it started doing it again. but I do not have a plist file to fix it again. at this point im not sure what to do. has this happened to anyone else?

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
ok so I deleted my plist file and it worked great. only problem now is, its been a few weeks and now it started doing it again. but I do not have a plist file to fix it again. at this point im not sure what to do. has this happened to anyone else?

Unfortunately, you probably have to delete the subdirectories with photos in them. Delete the higher named directories. Ex: 109APPLE, 108APPLE, etc. I think you may have to delete the 999APPLE directory too, but I'm not sure. Just copy the pictures off of your phone first, at least, any of the ones you want to save.

Also, I thought the phone created a new plist file after you deleted the existing one?

COBRASVT

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Atlanta
Try this:
--Download and install iPhoneBrowser:
http://www.brothersoft.com/iphonebrowser-190579.html

Open iPhoneBrowser:
Go to the DCIM directory
Go to the .MISC subdirectory
On the right side, delete the Info.plist file, and only that file

Close iPhoneBrowser then disconnect your phone from your computer.
Restart, just for good measure.

This will allow your iPhone to save images using filenames that have already been used, but have been deleted from the phone.
It will not overwrite any images, it will simply bypass filenames if they are in use (it will use the next available filename).

I don't see the DCIM directory.

N/M...found it.

cman1162

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2009
This is what I did

Aloha All,
My iPhone 3 G S when I take a picture the picture does not show in the camera roll when I try to view! I deleted all my pictures in camera roll thinking when I take a picture it will not show in camera roll? Please help
p.s. I power off the phone and turn on and I cleared all pics from camera roll while sync.
Thank you.

I tried the reset with no luck & not wanting to restore I downloaded a program to swap the camera roll. After swapping the camera roll all was fine. Now this was not the intended purpose of the app but whatever works 'eh?

COBRASVT

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Atlanta
I tried the reset with no luck & not wanting to restore I downloaded a program to swap the camera roll. After swapping the camera roll all was fine. Now this was not the intended purpose of the app but whatever works 'eh?

What app?

sunshine73131

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
iphone camera roll

my camera roll will not show pictures I have a 1st generation iphone thats been upgraded to 3.0 and its jail broken can anyone help me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.