Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2003
To set any of these, go to terminal and enter in the code for whichever preference you want to set. Remember, to reset the setting to its default value, just change the "1" at the end to a "0" (or vice versa).

Disable rounded corners

Code:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGCinematicWindowDebugForceNoRoundedCorners 1

Never show titlebar/controller

Code:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGUIVisibilityNeverAutoshow 1

Always show titlebar/controller

Code:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGUIVisibilityNeverAutohide 1

Never show the titlebar

Code:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGCinematicWindowDebugForceNoTitlebar 1

Autoplay movies on open

Code:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGPlayMovieOnOpen 1

Automatically show subtitles and closed captioning on open

Code:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGEnableCCAndSubtitlesOnOpen 1

Keep playing full-screen even when you command-tab out of QT

Code:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGFullScreenExitOnAppSwitch 0

Allow simultaneous recordings

Code:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGAllowMultipleSimultaneousRecordings 1

Unknown
I don't know exactly what these do, or they don't seem to have an effect when I enable them but here you go:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGTimeIntervalBeforeShowingLoadingUI
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGUseForkedDecoder
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGEnableMediumQualityAudioRendering
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGDisableQuickTimeX
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGShowFrameworkVersions
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGEnableWWDC2009KeynoteBehavior
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGCinematicWindowUseWindowShapeForRoundedCorners
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGCinematicWindowTitleAlwaysHasActiveAppearance
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGTimelineDisableAudioTrackForVideoMovies
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGTimelineShowSlientRangesWithModifierKey

ssawyer

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
Another working pref

com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSRecentDocumentsLimit also works to control or disable (set to 0) the number of recent documents stored.

Why did Apple remove the preferences window from QuickTime Player? It's not like it bugged anyone who didn't look for it.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I was just about to make a thread to see if anyone knew how to make videos auto-play in QTX. How could this not be a default setting anyway? I just clicked on the video, obviously I want it to play..

Thanks for posting this!

ssawyer

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSRecentDocumentsLimit also works to control or disable (set to 0) the number of recent documents stored.

Why did Apple remove the preferences window from QuickTime Player? It's not like it bugged anyone who didn't look for it.

Umm, nevermind. It looked like it worked at first, but now it seems it doesn't. If anyone knows how to control the recent documents menu, please post it.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
The disabling of rounded corners doesn't SEEM to give you back the pixels that were rounded off... it just squares the corners off, and fills the resulting difference with black UI pixels (not video or other content).

Seems a little pointless!

Grey Podder

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
Apologies for hijacking the thread, but could anyone tell me why Safari 4.0.3 under Snow Leopard shows me this for the terminal commands above, while Firefox 3.5.2 displays them correctly? I have attached a screenshot. MRoogle
didn't provide any results, but perhaps I didn't search hard enough.

Thanks to rorschach for the tip about removing the rounded corners, by the way.

Attachments

• Screen shot.png
    Screen shot.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,132

efice32

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
Music City USA
Apologies for hijacking the thread, but could anyone tell me why Safari 4.0.3 under Snow Leopard shows me this for the terminal commands above, while Firefox 3.5.2 displays them correctly? I have attached a screenshot. MRoogle
didn't provide any results, but perhaps I didn't search hard enough.

Thanks to rorschach for the tip about removing the rounded corners, by the way.

I'm getting the same issue

nihalz

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
thanks for the autoplay tip
is there any way to have it floating always on top?

its a shame that such a clean borderless interface can't be always on top

Grey Podder

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
Some further searching (this time at Apple's discussion page) shows that others are having some similar problems with fonts. A temporary workaround is to go to Safari>Preferences>Appearance and to change the Fixed-width font. A switch from Courier to Courier New worked for me.

I'm getting the same issue
Cheers, efice32. Quite refreshing to know we aren't going mad, wouldn't you say?

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
This is proof to me that Quicktime X is a 1.0 release and they'll try to push out a 2.0 soon.

conlov

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2007
It's disgraceful that you have to use the terminal to alter these basic settings. How come Apple didn't include a preferences panel for QTX?

donbenjy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
Is there a possible way that this could be written as an AppleScript/service so that you could get a pseudo preferences menu within the app?

I'm happy to use terminal to change these things, but I'd like a way to remember the defaults, and to maybe add any more hidden prefs that might be found that I might not want to enable right now.

celebi23

macrumors regular
May 31, 2004
CT
Is there a possible way that this could be written as an AppleScript/service so that you could get a pseudo preferences menu within the app?

I'm happy to use terminal to change these things, but I'd like a way to remember the defaults, and to maybe add any more hidden prefs that might be found that I might not want to enable right now.

I've got an easy implementation figured out. Used AppleScripts. Almost done. Will post it soonish :D

edit:

Finished :D

So, I saw the various Terminal commands for the QuickTime Player X hidden preferences & thought that there must be a better way to do this. So, I created 2 sets of AppleScripts. One set is to enable the preference & the other set disables the preference (and returns it to the default state).

I put up a small website with a guide (and credits)

http://web.me.com/celebi23/QuickTimeXScripts/Main.html

Special thanks to:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/775514/ (rorschach)
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2133815 (janfoeh)
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10075901 (janfoeh)

celebi23

macrumors regular
May 31, 2004
CT
Here's version 2.0 of my QuickTime X Hidden Preferences scripts!

Now with dialogs! :D

Dialog.png

The site has also been updated with new information & the new DMG to download. The ReadMeFirst.rtf file has been updated. The label color for the "QuickTime Player X Scripts" has been removed.

It's not a perfect solution for QuickTime X but, it's an improvement :D

celebi23

macrumors regular
May 31, 2004
CT
Finished version 2.1. Now you'll see a dialog to restart QuickTime when you select a button (see the previous dialog for an example)

restart1-1.png

Just follow the steps posted on my site:

• To activate the system-wide script menu item, open the "Script Editor" app (do a Spotlight search) or navigate to the "Applications/Utilities" folder. Open the Preferences & click the "Show Script menu in menu bar" check box
  • Download the dmg here
  • Copy the "QuickTime Player" folder, from the mounted dmg, to the "Macintosh HD/Users/'your user name'/Library/Scripts/Applications" folder.
    (If no "Scripts" folder exists in this location, create one)

See my website for more info

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Finished version 2.1. Now you'll see a dialog to restart QuickTime when you select a button (see the previous dialog for an example)

restart1-1.png

Just follow the steps posted on my site:

• To activate the system-wide script menu item, open the "Script Editor" app (do a Spotlight search) or navigate to the "Applications/Utilities" folder. Open the Preferences & click the "Show Script menu in menu bar" check box
  • Download the dmg here
  • Copy the "QuickTime Player" folder, from the mounted dmg, to the "Macintosh HD/Users/'your user name'/Library/Scripts/Applications" folder.
    (If no "Scripts" folder exists in this location, create one)

See my website for more info

Looks good.

J4M4L

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
Is there any way to enable the videos to keep playing when you skip to parts of a movie? Its really annoying!

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Never show the titlebar

Code:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGCinematicWindowDebugForceNoTitlebar 1

For me, this resulted in the 'resize lines' on the bottom right side of the video always being visible.

celebi23

macrumors regular
May 31, 2004
CT
Found some more preferences (I think). Not really sure because nothing appears to change when any of these are activated (except for the MGInfoWindowSharedInspectorVisibleAtLaunch, that shows the inspector window @ launch)

Code.png

(had to do it this way as I have encountered a bug with Snow Leopard where I can't past large amounts of code & have it show up. Had to use an image for now)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.