Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simo1122

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Hey all,
When do you think MW 2 will be out for mac? I doubt it would come out in (November?) when the xbox/pc version comes out but I reckon it will not be as long as COD 4 took since aspyr seem to be more mac devoted now...

Any Thoughts?

Ol3s

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
L'viv, Ukraine
Hey all,
When do you think MW 2 will be out for mac? I doubt it would come out in (November?) when the xbox/pc version comes out but I reckon it will not be as long as COD 4 took since aspyr seem to be more mac devoted now...

Any Thoughts?

Seem to be more mac devoted? All they release right now is pc games

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Macs have never been and will never be good machines for gaming. Accordingly, there is no such thing as Mac Gaming. It's always been an illusion, fueled with poorly performing, bad ports of Windows games and promoted by fanboys who don't know any better and have never played on a real gaming rig. The framerates that even the fastest Mac Pro creates are average at best when compared to the graphics power of a middle-sized gaming PC.

In other words: It just doesn't make sense to wait for a Mac version of a game. It will perform worse than the original, have more bugs, cost more and be years late.

Personally, I can only live with Macs because I have an Xbox 360 and a Windows license for my Mac Pro for those few (usually older) titles that don't have Xbox versions or that are strategy games like Civilization IV (whose Mac port by Aspyr sucks rocks, by the way).

My advice is this: Buy the Windows or Xbox version of that game, have fun with it and be happy. Don't waste your money on "supporting" Mac Gaming. If those guys delivered quality ports in a timely manner, my advice would be different. But such as it is, Mac Gaming is a dead horse.

Tsubame

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Depends on the company of course, Blizzard has bought my (and many other mac users) undying loyalty by always dual-releasing on Mac with native ports that run just as well as their windows version.

Unfortunately, many other companies don't have the same standards as Blizzard, so I stick to my PS3 for a lot of my gaming (I can't stand rebooting to play a game, especially not by putting windows on my iMac). That said, I had no problems running CoD4 on my mac, though I still prefer the PS3 version. It's hard to say when they'll port it to the Mac, probably not at the same time as the PC/PS3/360 version, so I'd recommend getting a console if you want it at launch. It'll probably be a decent port when they get around to it though.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
The anti-Mac gaming crowd is out in force on this thread.

Those of us that support/promote even the semi-shoddy ports of Mac gaming do so for reasons other than blind loyalty or ignorance. Do you understand WHY Mac's run games poorly. You write it off as some arcane thing. Us hardcore gamers (yes, I've built gaming rigs, etc.) who play in OS X do so because we use OS X as our main OS and hate the inconvenience of dual booting or having to have a second rig on our desk.

I boot into XP when I am LANing and want true DX9 on something like L4D or TF2 but playing in Crossover or playing Quake Wars, COD4 via Aspyr/WoW/War3 all work pretty well in OS X and outweigh the FPS gain it takes to dualboot. (I dont like interrupting my workflow for 30 min of COD4). To get back ontopic... I doubt MW2 will come within the next 3 months, but it may come depending on how it sells on the PC side.

P.S. FPS on a Console? Come on. :p Keyboard and mouse or go home. j/k j/k

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
(I dont like interrupting my workflow for 30 min of COD4).

Then why are you playing games between work time? It takes about 15 seconds to save+shut down all my apps and then 30 seconds to boot into XP. Add 5-10 seconds for Steam to start up. I work from home but I taught myself to work until a certain time and then use my system for games another time ;).

From my old days playing TF2 on Crossover the increase time in loading the game was longer than the time it would take to reboot into XP.

But to the OP you should consider getting it for Windows for performance, price and release date reasons.

nasabaer

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
Yes - it won´t take a long time to boot into Windows, but i have to cancel all my running applications like (longtime) downloads because of my slow internet connection.
Yeah - some of them could be set to pause or continued later if i am back to OSX. But all in all i loose a few hours of valuable download time.

So i found a solution to this point: My new Qnap NAS Drive will download these files for me an i could switch whenever i want to windows.

However its annoying to reboot my Mac Pro a few times per day.

I also prefer gaming directly under OSX and not Windows.

BTW: the Mac Port of COD4 is not as bad as some people state here in this forum.
it runs quite good IF you have an ATI Card in your Mac.
The nvidia drivers are horrible when it comes to gaming performance and i really hope this will change with the release of the gtx285 (mac edition).

Brad Oliver

macrumors regular
May 14, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Personally, I can only live with Macs because I have an Xbox 360 and a Windows license for my Mac Pro for those few (usually older) titles that don't have Xbox versions or that are strategy games like Civilization IV (whose Mac port by Aspyr sucks rocks, by the way).

OK, I'll bite: what's wrong with our Civ4 port? We're fairly performance-competitive with Windows and our patch level is current with the PC. How does it suck and what can we do to improve?

Edit: nm, I saw your angry rant in the Civ4 thread and have replied there.

thuban

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
So first of all, have you run COD4 on the new unibodies? i've done it on comparable mac and hp notebooks, and it is EXACTLY the same. The new MBPs have been specifically altered fro at the least, decent gaming. True, it isn't great for Microsoft games that are, go figure, developed for windows machines, but they do damn well. My year old MBP does better with cpu demanding games like wow than my buddy's brand spanking new alienware desktop! Get bootcamp for the windows exclusive programs, but otherwise, you really dont need it. In my opinion, after seeing the user turnout with COD4 and then the move to merge mac and windows servers, windows is recognizing the mac gaming community, and the release shouldn't be long in following for mac. total guess, but that's it.

pianoplayer1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2005
New York
Do you think the prior penryn macbook pro (8600m) will be able to run mw2 well or should I just get it for ps3 - keep in mind I kinda prefer keyboard and mouse (I posted this question in the other mw2 thread)

Atlas 912

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
Chicago
I'll be honest here, I'm new to the :apple: iMac...running a
2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
(probably not important) OSX 10.6 SL​

Haven't tried Bootcamp yet, I do run Parallels for my Microsoft fix. Can any one speak to my ability to run MW2 on my Mac in November? I prefer a FPS using the ole keyboard and mouse...but I'll just get it on xBox360 if it's going to run glitchy or with terrible graphics.

Thoughts?:D

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
Tomb Raider Anniversary Doom 3 CoD 4 and WoW run very good on my computer.

2.53 GHz core 2 duo

512 MB Nvidia Geforce 9600m GT

4GB DDR 3 ram

I think your iMac will do better then my Macbook! CoD 4 seems to run better on my mac then on my Xbox 360. But my xbox 360 is getting old. Sending it back to microsoft soon.

tgt114

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
Macs have never been and will never be good machines for gaming. Accordingly, there is no such thing as Mac Gaming. It's always been an illusion, fueled with poorly performing, bad ports of Windows games and promoted by fanboys who don't know any better and have never played on a real gaming rig. The framerates that even the fastest Mac Pro creates are average at best when compared to the graphics power of a middle-sized gaming PC.

In other words: It just doesn't make sense to wait for a Mac version of a game. It will perform worse than the original, have more bugs, cost more and be years late.

My advice is this: Buy the Windows or Xbox version of that game, have fun with it and be happy. Don't waste your money on "supporting" Mac Gaming. If those guys delivered quality ports in a timely manner, my advice would be different. But such as it is, Mac Gaming is a dead horse.

I would like to point out that mac COD4 runs extremely well on my MBP, just as well as pc COD4 did on my desktop gaming rig. It isn't that mac's can't support it (hardware OR software), it's that most developers don't actually put any effort into porting it over. If they actually coded the game from the ground up for a mac, it would, naturally, run better on a mac than a pc. So I disagree with you. It is not the operating system or the hardware, it is the developing process. It doesn't sound like you know much about macs at all.

freakshow2112

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
I would like to point out that mac COD4 runs extremely well on my MBP, just as well as pc COD4 did on my desktop gaming rig. It isn't that mac's can't support it (hardware OR software), it's that most developers don't actually put any effort into porting it over. If they actually coded the game from the ground up for a mac, it would, naturally, run better on a mac than a pc. So I disagree with you. It is not the operating system or the hardware, it is the developing process. It doesn't sound like you know much about macs at all.

He seems like an anti-Apple troll from his posts...

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
I've been keeping up with mw2 for PC for a couple of months now, pretty much Infinity Ward has forgotten it's PC users, no dedicated servers, can't customize settings etc... the list goes on, a lot of PC users have retracted their pre orders already.

Though I see where you're coming from & I think Boot Camp is a great solution for those games that are unlikely to ever be ported to Mac, I find most of your post to be OTT. :rolleyes: I've plenty of excellent OS X ports that run well at high settings on a (now slightly ageing) HD 2600 iMac. The latest range of iMacs (bar the low-end 21") will be much better.

As the Mac user base increases, Mac gaming is actually growing. One reason is that though Mac sales can't compete with PC sales by numbers sold, the value of Mac games (new or 2nd hand), unlike PC games, holds up very well. This allows companies like Feral to achieve decent enough returns for substantially fewer sales.

Yeah, Mac ports can be a pain to wait for (eg. "Rome: TW"), but IMHO loads of great older games to be getting on with in the meantime. :)

maxoid50

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
why the hate?

I game perfectly fine on my mac idk what all u ppl are complaining about. Sure its not "perfect" but it runs smoothly for me and i've actually had less hiccups with games that I play on my mac that I used to play on pc. It's true mac isn't exactly built for high performance gaming with all graphics and effects to the max but I certainly don't feel like I've lost any game experience. I play urban terror, eve online, bf 2142, cod4 and used to play wow all on my mac. They all run fine with the occasional minor problem usually having to do with the developer not necessarily because my mac was running badly. Anyway, my point is I haven't given up on mac gaming and I think it's definitely worth supporting because it's one area that Apple has yet to show us its full capability.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I have COD 4 for Mac, and also run COD4 for Windows under XP via Bootcamp. For whatever reason, that program runs poorly on my Mac Pro yet runs very well via Bootcamp. Substantially better frame rates on XP, with graphic settings the same.

The other problem with the Mac version has been that version updates come more slowly and not at the same time as the PC version updates. That generally means that there is often a period of time where players under OSX can't play on PC servers that have been updated to the new version, and wouldn't be able to unless and until IW elected to finally provide the update to the Mac version.

I confess it's been awhile since I've even tried to play COD4 natively under OSX. The game runs great for me under XP/Bootcamp so I have no real need, plus under XP I can still run an RCON management tool (ModernRCON), and Ventrilo.

soldierblue

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Never.

It is a Steam-only game after all, and I'm surprised that a lot of people seemed to miss this.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009

Mine too...I hadn't played any newer games since Gunship on my PC, and I was totally bowled over by the experience on my MBP. I can play COD4 on my 24" display at full 1920x1200 resolution, and only get slight slowdowns in the most intense scenes (e.g. when you are destroying the tanks in the Bog level with the Javelin. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.