Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Review found: here.

If you have questions regarding the Swan M10s, please ask them in this thread. It's not that I don't want your PM's rather, chances are someone might have a similar question.
Hello,

I purchased the Swan M10's because I needed something for the dorm room and the KRK museum that I own was not the solution. I will post more thoughts later. I don't know if I have captured how small they are, but I can say they are perfect for the dorm room.

3870717811_e443edf30e.jpg

3870718135_a820cee9cd.jpg

3871502564_58d859e8b2.jpg

3871502832_51890d28a1.jpg

3871503132_cce44c2a5c.jpg

3870719349_47998b5cce.jpg

3871503748_30fb893d9a.jpg

3871504088_21c55ed727.jpg

3871504758_9b5f517ac1.jpg

3870721111_691c925e95.jpg

3871505366_06c6b057d5.jpg

3871505740_9b942c8007.jpg

3871506318_b5c6f558fb.jpg

3871506584_c8c6eeb92a.jpg

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Congrats! You've given some great audio advice to a lot of folks on this forum, glad to hear you got a nice set up.

Your review asked:

There are a variety of other computer speakers we have heard, if you want our criticisms of them or wish to suggest a new one for us to review; contact us.

How do these Swan's stack up to Audioengine's A2's? I know the A2's are more expensive, but I'd love to see them compared. I own the A5's and love them! Down the road, I may need to get a smaller set up... Thanks!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I do love these. I'd love to buy but I'd take a huge loss on my Bose silly $400 speakers. ;)

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Congrats! You've given some great audio advice to a lot of folks on this forum, glad to hear you got a nice set up.

Your review asked:

How do these Swan's stack up to Audioengine's A2's? I know the A2's are more expensive, but I'd love to see them compared. I own the A5's and love them! Down the road, I may need to get a smaller set up... Thanks!

I personally am not a fan of AudioEngine's products. Against the A5's these are not as loud and the A5s are a tad bit more accurate on face value, tweaking the Swans might produce similar results, but the loudness battle is won by the A5s. As to the A2s, I've spent about an hour total with them. I would say that the bass is obviously a significant improvement over both of AudioEngine's products, but specifically the A2, which is IMO not balanced because of the lack of bass. Hi's are comparable or at least fairly, although I oddly would give the mids to the Swans. These really shine in that range compared to many monitor and non-monitor solutions.

BTW. My non-college set-up is a variety of KRK products, just so you guys and girls have a clue as to what my background is.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Thanks! Rock out with your Mac out! BTW, are you at Wake?
Yes, I am at Wake.

My friend has Bose speakers and they look really expensive, but they're so small (Smaller than the Airport Express router) but the sound is amazing!

It's $400? Never knew that they were that expensive.
Bose makes four different computer speaker models currently, two of them (MusicMonitors and the Companion 5) both retail at around $400.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
They're MusicMonitors, I bought them for myself for my bday last year. I focused on size really as I didn't want a sub. I do love them but the swans are just creamy.

illibball087

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2009
all right this price is ridiculous whats the catch?! quality? long tern reliability? i just cant believe this price per performance ratio its like they dont care about profit unlike bose

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Thanks for the review - nice job.

One thing I was going to mention...traditionally subs sound better (deeper bass) when they're put on the floor. From you pictures it looks like you posted it up high.

Cheers.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
all right this price is ridiculous whats the catch?! quality? long tern reliability? i just cant believe this price per performance ratio its like they dont care about profit unlike bose
Plenty of users have had them for a significant amount of time, never heard about them crapping out after a year.

Thanks for the review - nice job.

One thing I was going to mention...traditionally subs sound better (deeper bass) when they're put on the floor. From you pictures it looks like you posted it up high.

Cheers.
I briefly mentioned it. The subwoofer is much better on the desk. It's not a booming sub, which might have something to do with. This is the first time I have ever placed a subwoofer not on the floor, but after playing around with it - it really is better at head level.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
20 Hours is what I recall reading was the good break-in time in. But with most things after an absurd amount of hours they really hit their true potential.

Yeah. I've moved between two places a bit so they're not quite balanced right, but I'm moving again soon so I won't sort them properly until them. They still sound fabulous though.

El Burro

Suspended
Sep 7, 2009
what do you think of these versus the logitech z-2300 2.1 setup? I am not an audiophile but I do like quality acoustics equipment and would like the best bang for the buck (anywhere from 100-200 bucks). I have Grado SR80 headphones which are high quality.

Logitech Z-2300 has rave reviews on amazon (which of course I take with a balanced view/grain of salt at times) but I also realize that the mainstream consumer doesn't know much about things like proper audio setup.

What made you decide on that setup? I know that Bose has a reputation for being overpriced for its electronics.

Thanks,
El Burro

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
what do you think of these versus the logitech z-2300 2.1 setup? I am not an audiophile but I do like quality acoustics equipment and would like the best bang for the buck (anywhere from 100-200 bucks). I have Grado SR80 headphones which are high quality.
These are significantly better then the Logitechs. Highs and Mids are in a whole other level and the bass is completely different. The Logitech features a more shaking bass, the Swans feature a more thumpy bass. The Logitech's shake walls and have distortion, the Swans have a much more accurate bass that produces significantly more accurate sound.

Logitech Z-2300 has rave reviews on amazon (which of course I take with a balanced view/grain of salt at times) but I also realize that the mainstream consumer doesn't know much about things like proper audio setup.
I recommend the Logitech's to some people, but the Swans are in a different league.

What made you decide on that setup? I know that Bose has a reputation for being overpriced for its electronics.
I needed something for my dorm room. My home set-up was a pair of KRK V8s, a pair of E8Ts and a KRK V88 in the center with a RP10s on the floor. With that being said I also have quite a few Grado cans and the SE530s are my headphones for everyday use. I read the reviews for the Swans and took a $100 plunged. I am satisfied, but comparing them versus the multi-thousand home setup is not something that is fair. I would never by a Bose product except a pair of 901s.

Any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

El Burro

Suspended
Sep 7, 2009
These are significantly better then the Logitechs. Highs and Mids are in a whole other level and the bass is completely different. The Logitech features a more shaking bass, the Swans feature a more thumpy bass. The Logitech's shake walls and have distortion, the Swans have a much more accurate bass that produces significantly more accurate sound.

I recommend the Logitech's to some people, but the Swans are in a different league.

I needed something for my dorm room. My home set-up was a pair of KRK V8s, a pair of E8Ts and a KRK V88 in the center with a RP10s on the floor. With that being said I also have quite a few Grado cans and the SE530s are my headphones for everyday use. I read the reviews for the Swans and took a $100 plunged. I am satisfied, but comparing them versus the multi-thousand home setup is not something that is fair. I would never by a Bose product except a pair of 901s.

Any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Cool, yeah I also saw the klipsch 2.1 pros, but after reading your threads and checking out other threads through the power of google (X versus Y etc) and a balanced recommendation from (seemingly) experienced users, I sprung for the Swan M10s.

With regards to your home setup, are you saying that with your home set up you had a 5.1 surround sound setup? It sounds like you did your homework in getting good parts to build this --- was it mainly for your computer or for a home theater system or both?

Also, how much did this home system setup cost you and what did you use it mainly for (and to add to that what do you use the Swans for? From what I understand its more for music which is what I prefer over video games and movies even though it serves those purposes well)? Do you play any instruments or do any recording for high quality stuff? I'm just curious because my needs are not in the price range yet (maybe in 15 years or so when I actually start making money lol).

Also, just out of interest, you mentioned you have multiple grados headphones --- I have the Grados SR-80 as I read that it had more bass and was an improvement over the SR-60 headphones so I sprung for those (after deep searching comments all over the web). Which ones do you use and for what purposes?

I really like my grados sr-80, but i do understand that the shures are nice too though I didn't choose them because they plug into the ear canals and I was afraid of hearing damage lol (also I thought was kinda gross with ear wax especially if i ever wanted to share them with others)

~v
El Burro

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
With regards to your home setup, are you saying that with your home set up you had a 5.1 surround sound setup? It sounds like you did your homework in getting good parts to build this --- was it mainly for your computer or for a home theater system or both?
Not surround sound, but 5.1. Those are all studio monitors. I did some production work, but mainly it was that I just got sick of computer speakers and went for monitors. It was hooked up to my computer.

Also, how much did this home system setup cost you and what did you use it mainly for (and to add to that what do you use the Swans for? From what I understand its more for music which is what I prefer over video games and movies even though it serves those purposes well)? Do you play any instruments or do any recording for high quality stuff? I'm just curious because my needs are not in the price range yet (maybe in 15 years or so when I actually start making money lol).
I play no instruments, but production works. I could play video games, but these would be overkill. I won't divulge into how much it cost, but you could figure it out roughly.

Also, just out of interest, you mentioned you have multiple grados headphones --- I have the Grados SR-80 as I read that it had more bass and was an improvement over the SR-60 headphones so I sprung for those (after deep searching comments all over the web). Which ones do you use and for what purposes?
My headphones discussed here. The only change is the GS1000s have been replaced by their big brother PS1000s.

El Burro

Suspended
Sep 7, 2009
Damn those headphones are in the $1000-$1600 range :eek:

Can the average user really tell a significant difference between something like the Grados SR80s and something like the PS1000s that you mentioned?

I think the analogy I'm trying to make is like one between comparing a BMW 3 series 225 HP versus 300 HP V6 (most will never realize a difference as they are probably subtle)

or a $500 classical guitar versus a concert grade $5000 classical guitar.

There are differences, but they are SUBTLE

but then again I could be tone deaf/hard of hearing ha ha!

What, if you don't mind me asking, got you into production at such a young age? I only ask because I think it's interesting that young people get into stuff like that as it seems too complex for most adolescents to have a deep interest in like you seem to do.

Did you end up reading a lot of forums to gain your knowledge about acoustics or phsyics classes or what? I'm just curious because I like learning and figuring out the technical stuff to a respectable level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.