Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

candy1122

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
My husband and I are going through a rough patch right now and its not so pretty. I was shocked to find out theres programs that can track my location using my iphone. Is it possible that hes installed one on my phone without me knowing so that he can monitor my location at all times? Is there anyway for me to tell?

wilderness1957

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
possibly, and I would have to say that if this is a concern of yours enough to post here I would have to say PROBABLY. He didn't even have to install an ap on your iPhone. AT&T has the family map where you can track all your phones on your account. I would suggest turning off your location setting on your phone for starters. I am sure some others here will have a few ideas.

If you are concerned get cop and ask about a TPO

Johnnybrav0

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
My husband and I are going through a rough patch right now and its not so pretty. I was shocked to find out theres programs that can track my location using my iphone. Is it possible that hes installed one on my phone without me knowing so that he can monitor my location at all times? Is there anyway for me to tell?

Wow...that is crazy...what you can do is clean install your iphone...go into Itune and create a new profile and syns your iphone to it. The only problem is through you might lose all your paid apps...but that's better than having a crazy ex following you around...

Hope it helps and if you need more help let us know here...I can link you to better instructions...but a clean wipe is always best...

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Do you know if your phone is jailbroken?

Are there any apps on your iPhone that you do not recognize?

Also, do you have access to your phone bill so that you could check to see if you have AT&T's FamilyMap service on your bill?

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Do you guys have MobileMe? There is a feature called "Find my iPhone" that allows you to track down on a map where it's located. If this is what (you think) he's using to track you, you can turn this feature off in your iPhone.

On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> [MobileMe mail account name] and then make sure that Find My iPhone is turned off.

If you don't have MobileMe, then just make sure that there are no applications on your iPhone that you don't know what they are.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
or you can sync your iphone to a NEW computer.

And the person that said you'd lose all your paid apps is wrong. All you would do before you wipe all the current info on your iphone, is select "transfer applications".

That way after you're done restoring your iPhone to a NEW phone, you could resync all your apps back onto your device.

PM me if you need further assistance.....No problem!

James

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
could be he's using one of those parent features everyone seems to have now where you can track your kids' cell phone

FXT 1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
UK
or you can sync your iphone to a NEW computer.

And the person that said you'd lose all your paid apps is wrong. All you would do before you wipe all the current info on your iphone, is select "transfer applications".

That way after you're done restoring your iPhone to a NEW phone, you could resync all your apps back onto your device.

PM me if you need further assistance.....No problem!

James
But considering a so called "tracker app" is one of them.

OP needs to go through her apps and discern which ones she recognizes and needs and which ones she doesn't.

Some "tracker apps" are designed to catch out thieves who click on the app by accident or because of the attractive icon, in belief it holds personal info. They then send an e-mail to the account of the person who set it up, giving GPS co-ordinates.

Watch out for any suspicious apps. :)

Just come back to this thread if you need further assistance. I'm sure by then it will have turned into a fully fledged debate :rolleyes:

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Ugh, hello?

Apps can not run in the background, so even if there is a "tracker" app on your iPhone, it can't do a damn thing if you don't run it. Furthermore, anytime an app requests your location, a pop-up will appear asking you to choose "OK" or "Don't Allow".

Turn off your phone, turn it back on, done.

Reactions: bleak7

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Apps can not run in the background, so even if there is a "tracker" app on your iPhone, it can't do a damn thing if you don't run it.

FamilyMap uses tower triangulation, and does not rely on an application on the phone. AT&T can use their network data to locate your phone as long as it is turned on, and for 9.99 for two people or 14.99 for up to 5 they will make that data available online 24-7.

Steve Jobs=God

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Might be using the undercover app, which actually installs 2 apps onto the handset, one of them is like a person in a trenchcoat, only see from shoulders up, the other is a fake icon that iirc tracks your location and sends it to the "account holder" which looks like a dollar sign on the icon

apple3g040193

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
there is an application called tracker i have it if its open it gives street names to the person looking at on the internet but other than that its either mobile me or the att thing

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
Wow.. this whole thread is so sad on so many levels..

1. do some reading.. theres only one way to track in real time and thats mobil me..
2. any APP that wants to record your location asks you
3. well.. this is just sad. Why hide your location from your HUSBAND (she didnt say EX BTW)

If my husband were tracking me, he would find out that i eat more icecream than I tell him and that i go to the gas station every day after work. Not all that exciting.. it wouldnt make me thrilled to know he was following me.. but if you're paranoid, he probably has a right to be tracking you down..

Reactions: bleak7

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Wow.. this whole thread is so sad on so many levels..

1. do some reading.. theres only one way to track in real time and thats mobil me..
2. any APP that wants to record your location asks you
3. well.. this is just sad. Why hide your location from your HUSBAND (she didnt say EX BTW)

If my husband were tracking me, he would find out that i eat more icecream than I tell him and that i go to the gas station every day after work. Not all that exciting.. it wouldnt make me thrilled to know he was following me.. but if you're paranoid, he probably has a right to be tracking you down..

I agree with the first two, but revised my comments to my not thinking.:eek:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Yes there is a method he can track you. Well, there are actually 2 methods he can track you.

1. MobileMe - If you and your husband have MobileMe, then he can use the "Find My iPhone" feature to pinpoint where you are 24/7.

==== To deactivate this one. Just go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > MobileMe > Scroll down and slide "Find my iPhone" OFF. ====

2. AT&T - AT&T offers a service to see where your phone is exactly. If your husband enabled this plan (which is a monthly charge), he can also know where you are.

==== To deactivate this one, just call up 611 or go to an AT&T corporate store and get it removed. ====

candy1122

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
:( for those that decided to come down on me, i'm in an abusive relationship my husband hits me and I'm trying to get the help I need to get out. Thanks for all those kind words for those that went down the adultry path.

I tried doing some reading and it sounded like theres lots of apps out there that can do this. But I think going through this thread it sounds like theres only one? mobile me? can that be run without my knowledge?

Also if I turn off location services will that completely make any of these programs useless?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
:( for those that decided to come down on me, i'm in an abusive relationship my husband hits me and I'm trying to get the help I need to get out. Thanks for all those kind words for those that went down the adultry path.

I tried doing some reading and it sounded like theres lots of apps out there that can do this. But I think going through this thread it sounds like theres only one? mobile me? can that be run without my knowledge?

Also if I turn off location services will that completely make any of these programs useless?

If this is really the case, best bet is to call 911 and report that you are being beaten and battered. He'll go to jail and will have a trial to see how long also. Also, for your tracking down. Here:

Yes there is a method he can track you. Well, there are actually 2 methods he can track you.

1. MobileMe - If you and your husband have MobileMe, then he can use the "Find My iPhone" feature to pinpoint where you are 24/7.

==== To deactivate this one. Just go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > MobileMe > Scroll down and slide "Find my iPhone" OFF. ====

2. AT&T - AT&T offers a service to see where your phone is exactly. If your husband enabled this plan (which is a monthly charge), he can also know where you are.

==== To deactivate this one, just call up 611 or go to an AT&T corporate store and get it removed. ====

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA

See my post (#5) about turning off the "Find my iPhone" feature of MobileMe. You would know if you had it because you would have a MobileMe email account on your iPhone.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

Yes, turning off location services will fix things for you. And sorry for any members who made crude statements to you.

Edit: I'd say welcome to the forums, but you're probably not feeling so welcome. Sorry.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If thats the case and thats with a big IF you need to call the police and a good lawyer instead of worrying about your cellphone.
File the appropriate paperwork with your local authorities along with a restraining order and you should be safe.
Last thing you should be doing is wasting time here. Just turn off location services in your settings and thats it.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Candy1122.

I want to apologize for the treatment you received in response for your request for help making your phone stalker-proof. This is completely unacceptable.

Jav6454's advice in post #18 is, I believe, correct. MobileMe and AT&T FamilyMap are the only two ways to track an iPhone in real-time without an open tracking application on your iPhone. If you make sure that neither of these methods is enabled (in MobileMe settings and by checking your bill or calling AT&T to find out about FamilyMap), you should be okay.

I am sorry that you are in the situation you are in, and sorry that people here have made it harder for you. Getting out of such a relationship is harder than anyone who says "just call the police" can know. I wish you luck. Hang in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.