Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
Here's the article.

Macworld UK has learned of a dangerous malware that deletes the Home folder on a Mac. The file is cunningly disguised as a Word 2004 for Mac demo – from the forthcoming Office 2004 for Mac suite.

A Macworld reader alerted the magazine to the malware after he downloaded the file from Limewire. The reader told Macworld: "I downloaded the file in the hope that perhaps Microsoft had released some sort of public beta. The file unzipped, and to my delight the Microsoft icon looked genuine and trustworthy."

However, he added: "I clicked on the installer file, and to my horror in 10 seconds the attachment had wiped my entire Home folder!"

So far, the file seems to be spread only as a malicious chunk of code on filesharing networks, and the story doesn't make it clear if he had to enter his password or not. What's disturbing is that this is around a month after the first stories of the Trojan exploit surfaced.

If you download from any filesharing network, legal or not, be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.