Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
So in your mind thinking outside the box means saying they don't use zip ties when the do, not addressing the question regarding a mount that fits on wide diameter tubes, and instead talking about your motorcycle?

What kind of motorcycle do I have? If I was talking about my motorcycle, you would know the answer to that question.

In my mind " thinking outside the box " means considering options not offered " inside the box ".

Examples:

Want to mount a Cell Phone to your bicycle, but not satisfied with the options offered by the bicycle community? Look for something similar outside of that community, hmmmm who else mounts devices to round handlebars? Motorcycles? ATV's? Snowmobiles?

Want to mount a Water Bottle to your motorcycle, but are not happy with the offerings within the motorcycle community? Look outside that community, hmmmm who else mounts devices to round handlebars? Bicycles? ATV? Snowmobiles?

I know motorcyclists who have adapted bicycle accessories to motorcycles for water bottle/drink carriers as well as some other things.

That's what " thinking outside the box" means.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
We were responding to the fact that you stated you did not see zip ties being used for the RAM mount and that the RAM mount we were all talking about was the RAM bicycle mount, not the metal motorcycle mount.

Yes we understand the metal RAM motorcycle mount can be used on a bicycle. However most of us would not use it because we are concerned about weight savings. That is why they use plastic for bicycle mounts. These aren't your old $75 Huffy bikes, these are modern light weight rides that can cost thousands of dollars where weight is an issue.

My old Cannondale F1000 cost me well over $1500 at purchase ..... exceeded $2000 after a few weight reduction upgrades.

I understand the desire to reduce weight.

I also understand that there is a certain amount of risk involved in reducing weight. Increased weight reduction can create an increase in risk of damage to bike and rider. :eek:

If the increased risk to the iPhone by using the RAM Motorcycle mount is not something one is not willing to assume, then other options should be considered.

The ultimate low-weight iPhone mount I have found, and use, is an inside pocket. I would not want to see my iPhone bounce along a fire trail through the forest while mountain biking nor down the interstate when riding my motorcycle.

On the other hand .....

If you are truly concerned with saving weight, why not leave the iPhone in the car, or at home. After all, you cannot reduce weight by adding it, now can you ??? ;)

The Green Mac

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
3870991063_fd2145dfe3.jpg

It's a RAM Mount.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
If you are truly concerned with saving weight, why not leave the iPhone in the car, or at home. After all, you cannot reduce weight by adding it, now can you ???
True, but using the motorcycle RAM mount on a bicycle is overkill besides extra weight.

I have not once had my iPhone fall out of the plastic RAM bicycle mount, neither mountain biking or street riding. Nor have I ever had my $450 Garmin Edge 705 fall out of its plastic bicycle mount. Plastic does not mean cheap.

Sir1

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
I see that none of the suggested solutions take account for vibration/shocks. Even on smooth surfaces (well, perhaps besides an indoor course) the Iphone will get a rough treatment with a "firm" attachment even if it's "only" on a bicycle.
I'm also considering a solution for my bikes - with or without petrol engine - that securely will hold my iPhone and not put it through hell while riding.
I came up with this for my TomTom and will probably use the same vibration dampers (the cylinder shaped black rubber thingies) for a case that contains the iPhone - which, by the way, also has to be watertight. The dampers cost only a few bucks, but will spare your precious hardware of a lot of rough treatment.

The bike: Morini 3½ (http://www.morinist.dk/morini.htm) - if anyone's interested ;)

Attachments

• riderholder.jpg
    riderholder.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 4,253

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Even on smooth surfaces (well, perhaps besides an indoor course) the Iphone will get a rough treatment with a "firm" attachment even if it's "only" on a bicycle.
I think your fears are unwarranted as the iPhone is designed as a mobile device and built with a certain amount of shock treatment.

Sir1

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
I think your fears are unwarranted as the iPhone is designed as a mobile device and built with a certain amount of shock treatment.

That I'm sure is true - a certain amount. But the amount of vibrations it'd get mounted on my Morini I wouldn't put any electronic device through. Especially not my rather expensive iPhone, no matter how well built it is. I've heard of several that have had their electronic equipment vibrated to death mounted on the tank.
A bicycle ride doesn't produce nearly as much vibration, but the schocks can be quite harsh depending on the surface you ride. With no schock absorbtion I'm shure you can compare it to dropping the phone to the ground several times during a ride. That too I don't want to put my iPhone through. And as far as the weight goes, the extra few grams won't do a lot to my speed - I'd better loose some kilos myself ;)

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I'm shure you can compare it to dropping the phone to the ground several times during a ride.
True but guess what, the iPhone works fine even after dropping it on the ground numerous times, as long at the screen doesn't get damaged. Portable electronic devices already have built in shock protection. You could wrap the iPhone in a silicone case for even more shock absorption. But again I have not had one issue with it on my bikes.

AznZofia111

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2009
Shock mounting?

Hey all, first post in MacRumors, I hope you all go easy on me :)
Also I hope y'all don't mind my resurrecting an old thread.

I'm thinking of buying one as well. The RAM (or RAM-type) mounts seem to be the sexiest, but I unfortunately am an urban MTB rider.
This means that I ride on and off sidewalks, potholes, unpaved roads, up and down short stairs, over road partitions, etc etc during the morning commute.

What I'd like to ask is, does anyone have experience with riding down a flight of stairs (or any other vigorous activity) with their iPhone mounted?

------

As a quick tip, those of you considering the RAM-type mount should considering the older version designed for the iP 2g, which provides a tighter (more secure) fit.
evidence:
http://www.gpsstore.jp/products/iphone3g.html

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
If the RAM iPhone mount can handle mountain biking, it certainly can handle the urban jungle.

But if you are concerned you could try the RAM Universal ATV mount with an Otterbox Defender or Otterbox 2600 case.

AznZofia111

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2009
Sorry no, but I am told it is very sturdy and what you need if you plan on using a case with your iphone with a RAM bike mount. Since it is adjustable to various sizes it should work out pretty well. Here is a picture of one on the MotionX GPS site. http://gps.motionx.com/accessories/

Thanks for the link, was quite informative.
No foam, no ginormous arms that make interaction with the screen difficult like those conventional "jaw-type" mounts. Looks quite good^^

Oh, just found another interesting mount:
BioLogic Bike Mount for iPhone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJg_VzOBVN0

decco

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
iphone bike mount

I saw the most uber coolest looking iphone bike mount at a car show last weekend that could be used on yoyr bike...its at http://www.breffo.com! Dont know if it will suit your need, but it will definintely look cool@@:D

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
That spider type design doesn't look very sturdy to me for use on a mountain bike. How was it up close?

rhart00

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
Can anyone recommend a mount that will hold an iphone and case? I would prefer not to take mine out of its case to mount it on the bike

AznZofia111

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2009
Thanks for the response. I am actually looking for a mount that will hold both my iphone and the case that i currently have on it. Any suggestions?

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

Refer to discussion above.

I have yet to try this product, but it seems to be the best option out there,
RAM has a great reputation for rugged mounts and it seems like the guys over at MotionX are quite happy with it.

I think I'll be buying this product next month, as soon as payday rolls around^^

Btw what kind of case do you have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.