Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakukani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Hawaii
Does anyone know if color laserjet works with 10.6? It's not listed as supported in any list I've seen...

rhyx

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
2600 and 3800 use significantly different drivers. I believe the 3800 supports postscript while the 2600 requires host-based printing support (generally meaning Windows only).

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
2600 and 3800 use significantly different drivers. I believe the 3800 supports postscript while the 2600 requires host-based printing support (generally meaning Windows only).

Did not know that :-( Thought they all supported postscript.

trunkster

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
I have the exact same printer. For some reason Snow Leopard doesn't come with the drivers for it, even though I could swear it came with the Snow Leopard betas. But that doesn't matter because you can install the driver from HP's website. I've tested it and it seems to work 100%.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...iesId=446153&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=219

btw, I have a network install but I believe it's the same drivers, unlike in Windows where they are different driver set.

hakukani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Hawaii
Thanks.

If the 10.5 drivers work, I'm happy, since I've been using 10.5 with this printer. I'll upgrade as soon as my DVD comes from Amazon...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
The HP Color LaserJet 2600 is supported by HP on MacOS X. It requires a proprietary driver.

streboRekiM

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
I wasn't able to even see my 2600n on my network after installing SL on my MacBook (09).

I douwnloaded the driver and installed it and still couldn't see it.

However, I do have a Mac Mini on my network running 10.5 that I have set up to share the printer through Bon Jour.

That works.

If anyone has any detailed directions on how to get it to work directly (not shared), please post.

awuestenfeld

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2006
Norman, OK
My 2600n works fine as long as I am plugged directly into my computer. Problem is that I have the HP running to my Airport Extreme and have been printing wirelessly... this is not working. Any suggestions?

brdavidjr

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
My 2600n works fine as long as I am plugged directly into my computer. Problem is that I have the HP running to my Airport Extreme and have been printing wirelessly... this is not working. Any suggestions?

I had exactly the same problem.

What I did was go to System Preferences/Print & Fax and then proceeded to add the 2600n.

I got an error message when I tried using the driver from the drop down menu. So I tried "Other" which opened the "Finder". I went to Desktop where the 2600n OS X 10.5 Installer was still "docked". I clicked the Installer icon and that seemed to have worked. My 2600n (on my Airport Extreme Network) was added and it worked.

I don't know what I did right, but it worked. I didn't understand anything that I did ... I am a recent switcher from Windows, but I'm glad my 2600n is up and running at a network printer again.

philbaker

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
Switzerland

What I did was go to System Preferences/Print & Fax and then proceeded to add the 2600n.

I got an error message when I tried using the driver from the drop down menu. So I tried "Other" which opened the "Finder". I went to Desktop where the 2600n OS X 10.5 Installer was still "docked". I clicked the Installer icon and that seemed to have worked. My 2600n (on my Airport Extreme Network) was added and it worked.

I don't know what I did right, but it worked. I didn't understand anything that I did ... I am a recent switcher from Windows, but I'm glad my 2600n is up and running at a network printer again.

I had the same problem. My 2600n is connected via Time Capsule. I followed the same procedure as above and it worked. But I don't know why and I've been using Macs since 1991. I hope we'll have a driver soon !!

yends

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009

I followed the directions indicated above and the printer is now working, although it seems a lot slower than under 10.5.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Does anyone have the 2600n drivers working over Bonjour?

I have (or had) my printer hooked up to an airport express and tucked out of the way. Unfortunately, I'm unabled to print via Bonjour in Snow Leopard. I need to take a laptop over to the printer to print. Less than ideal.

Sko

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Germany
driver offers only basic support in 64bit apps

The current drivers for the 2600n will print from any app, but advanced features are only available for 32bit apps (like manual duplex, layout and color settings).

See posts from HP Mac Architect in Apple's forums on this topic.

hakukani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Hawaii
Does anyone have the 2600n drivers working over Bonjour?

I have (or had) my printer hooked up to an airport express and tucked out of the way. Unfortunately, I'm unabled to print via Bonjour in Snow Leopard. I need to take a laptop over to the printer to print. Less than ideal.

Follow the instructions above, and your printer will work. I'm connected wirelessly through an airport extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.