Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
It's not world shattering like many users were unreasonably expecting. OTOH, it's only $29.

I didn't do a fresh install, just popped the disk in and came back an hour later -- good to go.

I do see an improvement on boot time, and faster opening of Photoshop and Microsoft Office suite. It's evolutionary. An overall improvement. I haven't seen any upgrade issues or problems, except my main photo-editing software doesn't work with it. That company (Nikon) isn't known for software excellence, especially for Macs, so I wasn't surprised, nor was I upset.

One thing I did notice was the number of updates to existing programs I had that came out more-or-less at the same time. Far more than I saw with the upgrade to Leopard, so it seems to me that developers were more proactive this time around, or Apple did a better job of getting them in the loop, or the necessary tweaks weren't as big a deal Leopard-to-Snow Leopard as they were from Tiger-to-Leopard.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
It downloaded a new one. Nothing new, half the time I reboot it does that anyway... Just wait for the unit to be finished.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
It downloaded a new one. Nothing new, half the time I reboot it does that anyway... Just wait for the unit to be finished.

oh okay. so installing snow leopard didn't break folding at all. good to hear. i'll probably be upgrading my mac pro pretty soon, but i wanted to make sure it doesn't break anything, including folding, apache, mysql, php, you get the picture

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Maximum PC

Because I started folding for them many years before joining MR and there is no compelling reason to jump ship.

To be honest, it's a bit weird folding for them. Of course they are very supportive.

oh ok. i can see that. how many machines you got folding?

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
I used to Fold for another team but jumped ship...

Maximum PC is ranked #3, this team here might need your help more...

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
we do need your help! and you get the good feeling of folding for a mac team! PCs are cool as long as they're running ubuntu or hacked OS X ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.