Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Hey guys, yesterday I got the IMAP option on my gmail account but everytime I try to set it up like they show you in the video it always says "try connecting without SSL?" so I say yes and it always says it can't connect. Am i doing something wrong?

greatestash

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
Tried that....it doesnt work, thanks for playing tho

Make sure before setting up new IMAP Gmail, delete the old gmail account from iphone;

try to setup IMAP only after deleting the default gmail one on ur iphone and hope this will solve the issue!!!!!

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Make sure before setting up new IMAP Gmail, delete the old gmail account from iphone;

try to setup IMAP only after deleting the default gmail one on ur iphone and hope this will solve the issue!!!!!

But i dont have another gmail account on my iphone, i just have an aol account, it always says "set up using ssl?" and i say yes and then it says it cant connect to the server:(

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
I'd bet they are useing 1.0.2
I'm having a similar issue where the gmail acct. is doing 1 of 3 things;

1. NOT saving the imap password after it appears to have been saved in the inital acct. creation. When attempting to access the gmail acct. it says "No password saved, please go into email settings and enabled a password" or something like that

2. "try connecting without SSL?" when setting up the inital acct.

3. Connecting to the gmail acct and seeing NOTHING in the inbox, yet i can send mail from that gmail acct and it shows up on line and where ever else I sent it. Responding to that mail causes no action on the iPhone but ti shows up on line.

Geffen

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
Michigan
I'd bet they are useing 1.0.2
I'm having a similar issue where the gmail acct. is doing 1 of 3 things;

1. NOT saving the imap password after it appears to have been saved in the inital acct. creation. When attempting to access the gmail acct. it says "No password saved, please go into email settings and enabled a password" or something like that

2. "try connecting without SSL?" when setting up the inital acct.

3. Connecting to the gmail acct and seeing NOTHING in the inbox, yet i can send mail from that gmail acct and it shows up on line and where ever else I sent it. Responding to that mail causes no action on the iPhone but ti shows up on line.

I'm having the same issue and i'm on 1.0.2, is it safe to connect without SSL?

mloewe

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
I'm having the same problem.

My mail account worked fine for about a week.
But when i want to check my mail today, it says "No password provided for ..... Please go to Mail Account Settings and enter a password".

I've tried this about a hour now without getting it to work.

I enter my password in the settings and return to the "main settings screen".
I can now enter the mail settings again and the password is still there (displayed with *)

But when i click the mail icon i get the same message again!
Going back to the mail settings, and the password is gone. It's just displaying "Recquired"

It seems like the mail app is wiping out my password!

Can this have something to do with the "Services" Application from the installer. I used it to turn off edge last night. And switched it on again this morning. And since then mail isn't working anymore.

I hope someone can help!

greez, mloewe

i am using 1.1.1

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
BTW, this can't be a firmware problem, I was using IMAP on 1.0.2 with no problem whatsoever.

mloewe

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
has anyone else encountered the same "No password provided for..." problem?
can anyone help?

otherwise i think i have to restore mit iphone.

greez, M

TheTick

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
The best way I've found to set this up is to setup mail with the gmail account for imap, and then sync the account. Bam, it works every time after that.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
I have the same issue. Does anyone have any fixes for this?
These are the settings for Gmail on my iPhone, and they work perfectly:
Incoming Server: imap.gmail.com
User Name:******@gmail.com
Password: ********

Outgoing Server: smtp.gmail.com
User Name: *******@gmail.com
Password: ********

Then, under the advanced settings:

Incoming Settings
Use SSL: ON
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 993

Outgoing Settings
Use SSL: ON
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 587

Hope this helps. :)

deenybird

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
this is what did it for me!
originally posted by Mike in the comments at Appsafari.
I finally found a fix for this: macrumors post by misformac that states:

hey i had the same problem on my iphone
trying to set up gmail imap
it would first ask if it was ok to not use SSL
then it would say imap.gmail.com is not responding.

all i had to do to get it working was to clear the CAPTCHA.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78754&topic=12922

helikyler

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
What worked for me "No password provided" for SMTP on iPhone

This happened to me after receiving a replacement iPhone 3GS on warranty and restoring all my iPhone data and settings to the new phone. It would probably also happen to you if you did an emergency restore to an earlier backup.

I tried clearing the CAPTCHA via the link provided but that didn't make a difference. What worked for me was going deeper into the settings for my Gmail account on the iPhone. I realized that even though I had provided the password once, it didn't fill it in for the outgoing (SMTP) server. This is where I found it:

I clicked on Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Accounts -> Mail Account (mine is @gmail.com) -> SMTP Server -> Primary Server and realized there was an 'optional' password field that had not been filled in yet.

Once I did this, the mail immediately resumed sending as normal.:apple:

UtahRugbyGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
Gmail outgoing mail settings grayed out

I've searched every forum and I can't find an answer to my problem anywhere. I have a gmail imap acct on my newly replaced iPhone 3G. Most of my email accts had to be updated by re entering passwords etc. All are back to normal except for the outgoing mail settings of my gmail acct. When I go in to the smtp settings, all the info is entirely grayed out. The account is turned on, the incoming works fine. My old password is still in the field and all other info is correct (besides the password). But I can't edit any of the info since it's all grayed out. It's turned on but all fields are gray. I tried creating a new outgoing secondary SMTP that was identical and I was able to enter the new password and turned off the original outgoing default but nothing works. Any help?

radamus

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
AppGmail

I tried it all. Do yourself a favor and download the Gmail application from iTunes. It is called AppGmail. I did that and now am a happy camper.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.