Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Sesshi said:
Does anyone have a solution if I have a Pages file and want to open it in Windows without going back to a Mac and converting the file?

Nope. You need to export it in some other format, e.g., Word, RTF, PDF.

F

freakonguitar

save them as a .doc or .rtf or .pdf .... If you want to open the documents in Word then save them as a .doc idealy!

Oxguy3

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
Trick to view doc

Actually, you can see the 1st page by opening the .pages folder and iopening the QuickLook

bingchenli

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
I just find out it is really easy

You just need to open the .pages file in winzip or winrar. In essence, .pages is a group of files. You will see all of them in winzip or winrar. One of them is preview.pdf. All you need to do is to extract it. It retains all the text and, best of all, all the formatting. This will allow you to print. However, if you want to edit it, it is getting a little complicated. You will have to download a PagesConverter from the Internet and use it to open the .xml file. You then can convert it to .txt file.

vista.john

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
You just need to open the .pages file in winzip or winrar. In essence, .pages is a group of files. You will see all of them in winzip or winrar. One of them is preview.pdf. All you need to do is to extract it. It retains all the text and, best of all, all the formatting. This will allow you to print. However, if you want to edit it, it is getting a little complicated. You will have to download a PagesConverter from the Internet and use it to open the .xml file. You then can convert it to .txt file.

very helpful, indeed! thanks!:)

pomajp

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Opening the pages file on a PC

While winzip or winrar will work, i think I've got a simpler solution:

Step 1 - Save the file to your desktop
Step 2 - Right Click the file -> Drag to 'Rename'
Step 3 - Amend '.zip' to the end of the file and hit enter
Step 4 - Open zipped folder and view contents

That's it! I hope this helps :)

gringottsgoblin

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2009
This is just the information I needed. Thanks to all the posters above. I forgot to save in .doc format last night at home, and don't have access to a Mac at work. I extracted the pdf from the .pages file using winzip and then was able to export the pdf to a .doc using my Adobe Acrobat Pro. Now I can get back on deadline.

Lugasa62

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
Opening.Page file in PC

Thank you! I used your .zip recommendation and it worked perfectly!

july

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
Québec, Canada
Finally !

Thank you very much ! I also used your .zip recommendation and it worked perfectly... and I was almost desperate to find a way to open those files ! I will also add your forum to my favorites ! :)

jc2000f

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
I'm having desperate trouble to extract the index.xml file, anyone recommend what I'm doing wrong? Every program I try gives me an unsupported compression warning..

Vilcaed

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
Fix to the problem

hey, i hope it's not too late, though it probably is. In case you're having issues opening the text, you can open it in internet explorer, and it's at the bottom. a bunch of html code is before it, but the text is there.

chris510

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010

Thanks alot man, if it wasn't for this, I'd be having a pretty ****** morning with no homework. I know this is a little late but just had to say thanks!

HaneefT

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
South Africa
Upload the .pages file to Google Docs

This workaround requires one to upload the file to an online/cloud services such as Google Documents. I know that Google Documents allows one to view the .pages file.

trumass

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011

Brilliant!! Thank you!

mcarbl

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
Birmingham, UK
:eek: Thank you so much!

I'm at work and have a Pages file in my Dropbox that I desperately need to access and we only have PCs here - you're a star!

spaceryno

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011
Thank you for being the person who actually helped me view the file!

Using WinRar was a great way to see what the pages files looked like and let me at least see what was on the disk. The other info didnt help at all because I am not using a MAC at this office. I signed up for MacRumors just so i could reply and thank you for the time to post WinRar as a temp-solution, even though this did not allow a full PDF view with 300 dpi, which i needed in order save and then import to indesign, cheers. Ryan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.