Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Is there a way to disable the “pinch open and close” feature on a MBP trackpad? I swear, it’s going to put me in therapy. Every time I need to scroll through massive spreadsheets for work, if my fingers separate by even a hair, the trackpad reads it as a pinch, then the document suddenly balloons to massive proportion or shrinks to infinitesimally tiny print.

Seems there ought to be a simple way to turn the thing off, but for the life of me, I can’t find it.

Help, please? Thanks!

jlocalled

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
If you use Snow Leopard and have a Unibody(I have no idea about the older ones) You can disable it in System Preferences.

20090902-w6bt58j92775uit65axa5anun.png

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Is there a way to disable the “pinch open and close” feature on a MBP trackpad? I swear, it’s going to put me in therapy. Every time I need to scroll through massive spreadsheets for work, if my fingers separate by even a hair, the trackpad reads it as a pinch, then the document suddenly balloons to massive proportion or shrinks to infinitesimally tiny print.

Seems there ought to be a simple way to turn the thing off, but for the life of me, I can’t find it.

Help, please? Thanks!
I went through the same thing as you. With Leopard you are out of luck (AFAIK). With Snow Leopard you can turn it off.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Ahhh...looks like someone got smart(er) between Leopard and Snow Leopard. Only “secondary tap” is an off/on option in the Two Fingers section of the original.

I’m holding off on installing SL until a couple of third party apps are ready. It’s here on the desk, staring at me, but Uncle Steve’s early release caught a few fine folks off guard who thought they had another two weeks to work with. Sounds like it will be worth the wait (if only for this blasted two finger thing alone!).

Thanks for the info, folks. You guys rock!

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Still an issue?

This has actually only become an issue for me since I upgraded to snow leopard. The damn thing won't turn off, even with it unchecked in the system prefs. Have looked around for a fix for a while but all the answers are 'snow leopard has fixed the issue with the ability to turn it off'. It was fine before I upgraded! Another person who has the same generation macbook (pro unibody 15" 2009) has had the exact same problem since updating to SL.

Anyone having a similar issue?

Note: It's only pinch & zoom that wont turn off, the others turn on/off normally.
Also, tried resetting the PRAM and a few other basic fixes but nothing yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.