Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim5021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Just installed Snow Leopard. I want to stop using Entourage. So, when I reply to an email in Mail.app 10.6 I want the From, Sent, To, and Subject fields to appear above the original email (see example below) as it did in Mail.app 10.5 and earlier. How do I do this...?

Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:30 PM
To: 'Steve Jobs'
Subject: Injection Mold quote

Thanks. Tim

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Right click the bar above the mail messages and select the columns you want to show.

On the Reply & New message window drop down the envelope icon and select the fields you want.
S.

tim5021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
?

Where is the "Reply & New message window drop down" you are referring to...?

tim5021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
When I reply to an email, Mail 10.6 shows the following style of header:

On Sep 2, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Steve Jobs wrote:

I want the header to display like Entourage or older versions of Mail, like this:

Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:30 PM
To: 'Steve Jobs'
Subject: Injection Mold quote

Thanks in advance. Tim

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
Are you talking about this?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-02 at 6.38.59 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-09-02 at 6.38.59 PM.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 109

tim5021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Are you talking about this?

OK, if you reply to that message (using Mail in Snow Leopard) the header would appear like this...

On Aug 30, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Thoenebooks.com wrote:

But I want it to appear like it did in earlier versions of Mail like this...

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2009 6:43 PM
To: 'Turner Michael'
Subject: NEW THOENE BLOG: THE HEART OF A NATION

In a work environment you want to be able to look down a long string of emails and see additional info above each email. I just want to be able to customize the header so that it appears the same way it does in Entourage and all earlier versions of Mail.app

Did Apple purposely leave this ability out of Mail in Snow Leopard. It's frustrating because I can now connect Mail.app to my Exchange server and finally get rid of Entourage, but then Apple throws a curve ball in by not allowing full header info above each email in a string of emails... why...?

broken-chaos

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The way Mail acts by default in Snow Leopard is the same as it acted under Leopard when replying to a message (the same "On $DATE, at $TIME...." style quotation).

Either you're remembering 10.5's Mail.app incorrectly, or there was some configuration you did under it that you aren't mentioning now. I'm not aware of way to greatly customize the format - though I haven't tried.

mukor

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
the reply format doesn't work in the business world

I'm have the same gripe. There needs to be an option to let users reply in the following format

Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 6:28 PM
To: <name>
Cc: <name>
Subject: <text>

JonPenny

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
Proper header info in reply messages fixed yet?

Did this issue ever get resolved? I'm struggling to find a solution to this exact problem. When I forward a message it displays all the correct header information, but when I reply it doesn't.
- Jon

bradhs

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Bump ... Anyone have a solution to this?

Did this issue ever get resolved? I'm struggling to find a solution to this exact problem. When I forward a message it displays all the correct header information, but when I reply it doesn't.
- Jon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.