Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cameronfield

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
After updating to Snow Leopard, I get the spinning circle thingy no matter WHAT apps I'm running every 5 mins or so.

I've tried rebooting and everything - anyone else having this problem? If so is there a solution?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Count me in as another person getting this. Thought it was a potential issue with 5,400rpm drives too (having had a 7,200rpm and had teh click beep issue, with also 30 second pauses).

Seems it's a silent version of this. What Mac are you using?

cameronfield

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
I had this for a while also. I downloaded Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner 5.0 ( http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/snowleopardcachecleaner.html )

I ran some of the scripts and since then I have been golden. Before I ran this app Spaces and Expose were both choppy, not anymore, smooth as silk now! Also seeing the spinning beach ball much less!

Awesome, downloaded and ran it.

So, I'm a total n00b when it comes to Macs...could you give me a quick run through of what exactly I should do in that program? Maybe even step by step :p? Thanks!

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
Awesome, downloaded and ran it.

So, I'm a total n00b when it comes to Macs...could you give me a quick run through of what exactly I should do in that program? Maybe even step by step :p? Thanks!

Note this is a demo program, but its one of the only demos that actually allows you to RUN the scripts. Another program you may consider purchasing is CleanMyMac.... does most of the same stuff but the demo doesnt allow you to actually clean the system.

So, onto the program we are talking about...

Fire it up, then click on the Maintain tab. There are a few check boxes here you can look into, but I went with these selections...
Screenshot2009-09-03at15329PM.png
Click run...

Then click the Optimize tab...
Screenshot2009-09-03at15349PM.png
Click run...

Then the Trash tab...
Screenshot2009-09-03at15357PM.png
Click run...
I then did a reboot.

Most of these tasks can be done through Disk Utility, but I like these Utility apps that put it all into one place.
Anyway, let us know how it works out. Ive seen a lot of posts lately about similar issues.

Amarq09

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Thanks, I've been experiencing the same problems since upgrading. I'm on late 08 mb 2.4ghz 2 gb ram. Will run this and report back.

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
anymore positive comment? I am planning to give it a shot too, will report back.. :)

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
I just downloaded and ran this app, then rebooted. It took a while to optimize the files, that was the only downside. I'll keep an eye out for the spinning beachballs, as I've had it quite a bit since upgrading to SL.
Thanks for posting the link to the app, iMerlin!
Morod

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Well, it's been a day since I ran this app. Everything seems to work fine. No crashes, but I didn't have any before using this either. No spinning beachballs, which is really cool. Had lots of those with SL. I don't know if I'll purchase this, but to run once it was a good deal.

mrhud

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
Positive Result

So far so good.

Followed all of the steps outlined and haven't had a beach ball in over an hour.

hscottm

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2005
I'm still waiting for the "optimize files" to finish. fingers crossed.

While I hope it works, the engineer in me wonders what the underlying cause is likely to be (that running all these scripts fixes)... Its odd because out of about 10 upgrades in our group, I am the only one having the random hangs...

Any ideas out there?

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Trying this right now too, hope this fixes it, but im not sure because im positive its the flash plugin

hscottm

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2005
did this, but still hasnt solved my problems unfortunately. I havent uninstalled flash yet.

giaotze

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Just want to thank the people who solved this problem. I was so mad that I spent so much money on this machine that keep freezing up. Now it works beautifully.

Thanks a lot to everyone helped on this.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
Onyx 2.1 Beta is available for Snow Leopard.

Onyx is still in Beta. I downloaded anyway and ran some scripts and found that my active boot mount had some issues. I rebooted with the SL install disk and ran Disk Utility and fixed the errors.

I think both programs do about the same thing though. hscottm, did you run the original program I mentioned in this thread or did you go with Onyx? If you ran the original, try getting Onyx and run that, might find some things that SL Cache Cleaner didnt.

Greenman85

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Note this is a demo program, but its one of the only demos that actually allows you to RUN the scripts. Another program you may consider purchasing is CleanMyMac.... does most of the same stuff but the demo doesnt allow you to actually clean the system.

Fire it up, then click on the Maintain tab. There are a few check boxes here you can look into, but I went with these selections...
Screenshot2009-09-03at15329PM.png
Click run...

Then click the Optimize tab...
Screenshot2009-09-03at15349PM.png
Click run...

Then the Trash tab...
Screenshot2009-09-03at15357PM.png
Click run...
I then did a reboot.

Most of these tasks can be done through Disk Utility, but I like these Utility apps that put it all into one place.
Anyway, let us know how it works out. Ive seen a lot of posts lately about similar issues.

If I have maintidget should i still get and use this? Thx

VS007

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008

Thanks iMerlin!!!!
Since running this demo software, dont see much of beachballs even when I click TopHits sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.