Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

I have thought on buying a USB Microphone to record podcasts as professional as possible. The USB Microphone chord may not be longer than fifteen inches.

Is it possible, to add an extension to the original chord ??

Will the sound quality be substantially affected ??

Are there a few brand names that you may recommend over others ??

Thank you very much, very kind regards,

igmolinav.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i don't know if it will work or not but they do sell USB extension cords similar to what you would find in home depot only for the computer. (see link below for example)
link

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi,

I have thought on buying a USB Microphone to record podcasts as professional as possible. The USB Microphone chord may not be longer than fifteen inches.

You can plug the mic into a USB hub and then use a longer USB cable between the hub and the computer. But USB cables do have a maximum length of about 15 feet. Not very long, not nearly long enough to get the mic far enough from the noisy computer. They do make simple "extension cords" for USB but the total lenght of the cable and extension are limited. Do you loose quality? No, digital cables either work or not. You might even be able to go past the "maximum" length and it might still work.

I think this is the main limitation of the "USB Mic". If you were to use a standard mic that had an XLR connector then you could buy a 100ft XLR cable if needed and plug that into an audio interface. All professional mics have a standard XLR connector so you can mix and match cables, mics and audio interface.

The USB mic trades ease of use of flexibility. You have to decide which you want.

salientstimulus

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
Not sure what mic you're thinking of, but many have a USB plug on the bottom, so you can attach whatever length of USB cable you want.

If the mic you are buying has a built-in cable, you can use a USB extension cable. If I recall, USB works up to 25 feet or so (after that, additional power is required to maintain the signal, like from a hub). Using an extension will have no effect on the quality of digital audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.