Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandrajn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
I have just switched from PC to Mac, and I am at a loss as to how to print just a high-lighted selection from a web page.
I found in the print menu a way to delete headers and footers, but what if I just want to print a section from the whole page? I'm used to being able to do this with my mac, and I'm sure Mac must do it, but I can't find it in the help index anywhere.
Any help much appreciated.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
If you are using Safari select what you want to print and go up to the Safari menu and scroll down to "Services" and select "Print Selection".

yeah....... I don't have those options available...

Here is what I have, running SL

And no, service preferences is no help

Attachments

• print selection.jpg
    print selection.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 652

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
In Snow Leopard all you have to do is make your selection and then Right click and select "Services", Print Selection is there. You will find "Services" are a lot more handy in all Applications now that they are on Right click and only shows the items for that Application.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
In Snow Leopard all you have to do is make your selection and then Right click and select "Services", Print Selection is there. You will find "Services" are a lot more handy in all Applications now that they are on Right click and only shows the items for that Application.

Yet another feature that I'm enjoying in Snow Leopard. Services are actually useful to me now!

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
It doesn't work for me.

If you read Post #4 and use Right click it will work or you can Turn it on in Services Preferences from where you made the screen shot. Open Services Preferences under Safari's Services and check Print Selection. Now Print Selection will show up in both places when you highlight something in Safari.

Attachments

• printScreen.jpg
    printScreen.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 469

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Also, if you simultaneously press the keys command shift 4, you can then highlight a rectangular area by clicking and dragging with your mouse. The screenshot will be saved to your desktop and you can print that out.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I just checked in my Services menu in Snow Leopard and "Print selection" is not there either. :confused:

There's also no option in the Services Preferences to check to enable "Print Selection". I did a search on the interwebs and heard that you can download a custom service for this, but it does not come with the OS.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I just checked in my Services menu in Snow Leopard and "Print selection" is not there either. :confused:

There's also no option in the Services Preferences to check to enable "Print Selection". I did a search on the interwebs and heard that you can download a custom service for this, but it does not come with the OS.

I think you are right, I had forgotten that I added print selection to Leopard a long time ago, I guess it held over to Snow Leopard too. I don't remember how I added it or where I found how to do it.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I just found "print selection 2.0" in my Services folder, so that must be what I had install to get Safari to work. In Firefox the "Print Selection" is in the normal print dialog box and you don't need to go to services.

moroandrea

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
Letchworth
If you are using Safari select what you want to print and go up to the Safari menu and scroll down to "Services" and select "Print Selection".

Print selection was a nice plugin to add to Leopard as a third party service. It seems to work fine even with Snow Leopard but it should be enabled clicking on Services Preferences. Print Selection element is below Picture group. I know it doesn't make so much sense and apparently give the impression to work only with images, but I just checked and it works exactly in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.