Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Hi, again. I've recently purchased a broken 1GHz Alum PowerBook G4 12", and the display isn't working. I have a total of two 12" PowerBook displays, and I've tested both. They've worked perfectly fine. Then I've tried reseting the PMU and PRAM, no luck, but they've attempted to work. Tried the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter with my display, still no luck. The keyboard, optical drive, and hard drive works as if it was booting, and there was always a clear chime, even when I've reset the PRAM and PMU (the beep sound when PRAM also attempted). I've inserted a Leopard install disk, and it sounded like it was working perfectly fine. Any Help? Hopefully it's not a motherboard issue! Thanks

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
So no display on the Powerbook's screen nor an external?

Sounds like the GPU is dead. Which means it's a logic board replacement in order to fix it...

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I thought there was a way to fix that, including with a 12" iBook. I've seen pictures of someone soldering something on an iBook motherboard to get the video working again....

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I've taken it apart again. I've felt the GPU, and it gets very hot within 15 seconds. Is that a sign?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.