Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fernande-mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Midwest
I currently have a Stripped RAID setup with dual 160GB. However, I am looking into getting bigger internal HDs.

Do you know if there is a limit for the size of the HDs for my PowerMac G5? Or is this determined by the Operating System?

PowerMac G5 PPC Dual 1.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.4.11 (looking to upgrade to 10.5 soon)

Thanks!

aibo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California
The only size limit was pre-Quicksilver G4s, when the controllers didn't have 48-bit addressing. So in other words -- no, there is no size limit for your computer or any Power Mac/Mac Pro since 2002.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
With Leopard I know for sure that you can SW RAID0 two 2TB drives which would give you a total capacity ceiling of 4 TB with current drive technology. I don't remember if Tiger had the SW RAID0 facility in disk utility. I only switched 12 months ago.

fernande-mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Midwest

Well, well, I think I will be OK with that limit. :D

I don't remember if Tiger had the SW RAID0 facility in disk utility.

Yes. Tiger supports SW RAID0. That's what I am using now with my dual 160GB.

Now that we are looking at Terabytes for storage. Is there any recommendation about RAID technology and partitioning setup to get the best performance and reliability?

For instance, is it better to have a single small HD (e.g., 160 GB) as the main boot disk with the OS and all the applications, and a second large HD (e.g., 1TB or more) for data?

Or is it better to have a RAID0 with two large HDs (e.g., 1TB or 2TB) and put everything in there?

Thanks!

wpc33

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Aside from the valid concerns over the older G4, I partially blame :apple: for so much confusion over drive limits. I know it doesn't necessarily apply here, but how many of you have read posts wondering if out-of-date promotional materials for Macs, stating "Up to X units of HDD space!:eek:", leaving some folks to wonder if it's a restriction?

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Your best option is raid0 on two big disks. You could refine that by splitting the top ten % off both drives and make two RAID0 arrays. One small would hold OS and apps. The big one would hold the data you want to store like music and video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.