Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mongrel73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Hello,
I've just got the GPush app, which instantly alerts me when I get a new email from Gmail, which is great and works perfectly. So since I had this, I told my iPhone to only check for new mail manually, when I open the Mail app (to increase battery life). This is almost perfect, but the only problem is that now there's no little red number next to my Mail icon telling me how many new emails I have (the Mail app is on the permanent bottom row thing for me). So if I wasn't by my phone when the email got received, I won't know if I have new mail unless I scroll over to check the GPush app, which is about 7 pages in. I don't want it to take up space any earlier because I literally never open it, it just functions in the background.

So, my question is, can I put the *picture* of the GPush icon where the Mail icon usually goes. So it will have a little '1' in a circle, but when I click on it, it will go to mail rather than GPush.

My phone is jailbroken btw, but I haven't used any jailbroken features so far.

Thanks very much

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
So, my question is, can I put the *picture* of the GPush icon where the Mail icon usually goes. So it will have a little '1' in a circle, but when I click on it, it will go to mail rather than GPush.

It's not hard to swap the icon, what would be more difficult would be to get the badges to show up there. I'm not sure there's any way to do it. I think the best solution would be to put GPush in the dock and move Mail to the front page.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hello,
I've just got the GPush app, which instantly alerts me when I get a new email from Gmail, which is great and works perfectly. So since I had this, I told my iPhone to only check for new mail manually, when I open the Mail app (to increase battery life). This is almost perfect, but the only problem is that now there's no little red number next to my Mail icon telling me how many new emails I have (the Mail app is on the permanent bottom row thing for me). So if I wasn't by my phone when the email got received, I won't know if I have new mail unless I scroll over to check the GPush app, which is about 7 pages in. I don't want it to take up space any earlier because I literally never open it, it just functions in the background.

My phone is jailbroken btw, but I haven't used any jailbroken features so far.

Thanks very much

There is a mod called GriP which puts an alert on your screen for E-mail (any & all servers) and SMS messages.

It runs in the background but doesn't hog battery. Allows on screen reading and deletion of E-mail.

GriP

iSpaghettiCat

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
Miami, FL
Very easy to do.

Just find the icon of GPush, or create one, create a theme folder for Winterboard as "\GPush Mail Icon\Icons\", drop the icon into the "Icons" folder or make the icon and drop the .png file into your current theme, then activate the theme from Winterboard.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Very easy to do.

Just find the icon of GPush, or create one, create a theme folder for Winterboard as "\GPush Mail Icon\Icons\", drop the icon into the "Icons" folder or make the icon and drop the .png file into your current theme, then activate the theme from Winterboard.

This won't accomplish what the OP wants. S/he wants to move the notification badges from from the GPush to the Mail icon (so that she can have one icon in her dock to both notify her of new mail and open Mail. Sure, she could change the badge on GPush to look like Mail, but pressing it will still open up the GPush settings page, not Mail.

iSpaghettiCat

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
Miami, FL
This won't accomplish what the OP wants. S/he wants to move the notification badges from from the GPush to the Mail icon (so that she can have one icon in her dock to both notify her of new mail and open Mail. Sure, she could change the badge on GPush to look like Mail, but pressing it will still open up the GPush settings page, not Mail.

If I read correct, the OP also wants the Mail icon to look like the GPush icon. OP could just copy the .png icon of GPush, rename it to mail.png, and drop it in a theme.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
If I read correct, the OP also wants the Mail icon to look like the GPush icon. OP could just copy the .png icon of GPush, rename it to mail.png, and drop it in a theme.

You did not read correct. She wants to have the badges indicating number of new messages from GPush on the icon which opens mail. Her stated goal in making this change is to "have a little '1' in a circle, but when I click on it, it will go to mail rather than GPush." What you suggest will not do that; GPush badges will stay on the GPush icon, and badges will appear on Mail only when Mail checks for new messages.

iSpaghettiCat

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
Miami, FL
You did not read correct. She wants to have the badges indicating number of new messages from GPush on the icon which opens mail. Her stated goal in making this change is to "have a little '1' in a circle, but when I click on it, it will go to mail rather than GPush." What you suggest will not do that; GPush badges will stay on the GPush icon, and badges will appear on Mail only when Mail checks for new messages.

After reading it really really thorough, I did not read correct.

My bad :p

mongrel73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Thanks, that's what I've done.

It's not hard to swap the icon, what would be more difficult would be to get the badges to show up there. I'm not sure there's any way to do it. I think the best solution would be to put GPush in the dock and move Mail to the front page.

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
You can get Prowl from the app store and set up Growl or a script to watch gmail and send a push notification to Prowl when you get mail. Prowl then pops up a notification, plays a sound and has a badge. Works great but the downside is you need your computer running constantly and it may be tricky to set up for some users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.