Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dunlapface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Hey guys. I have sbcglobal and for some reason when I set up my email I can not get the email to send, but it comes in just fine. Here are the settings that I have set up.

POP = pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
SMTP = smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com

I keep getting a error message that pops up saying that it could not find the server for the smtp. Does anyone know what I should do or if there is something I need to change?

Thanks!

AnotherFanBoy

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
I don't know about this exact service, but that error means your SMTP outgoing server details are incorrect. Check the ports, address and other settings to make sure they are all right.

macgirl89

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
New York, USA
I'm having the same problem! I receive e-mail just fine, but I can't ever send e-mail. Except I use Optimum Online as my Internet service. So:

POP = mail.optonline.net
SMTP = mail.optonline.net

I try going into Mail, Preferences, Account Information. On the drop-down menu next to "Outgoing Mail Server," I got to "Edit Server List," and then Advanced. I've looked it up, and I don't think the port is wrong. I don't know what "Use Secure Sockets Layer" is though. I have that checked, so maybe that's doing it? I'm not sure. But I hope we find out!

macgirl89

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
New York, USA
OK!!

It turns out that the "Use Secure Sockets Layer" option was the problem!! I unchecked it and now I'm able to send e-mail! Try it and this should solve your problem!:D

applelover13

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
i have the same problem except with cox.net

incoming pop.west.cox.net

outgoing smtp.west.cox.net

can receive but send

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I have had the same problem with all my non Mobile Me accounts.

I tried everything and nothing worked.

Finally I deleted both accounts having the problem and then started from scratch.

Now they work.

I was very frustrated!!!

This was my only hitch with snow leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.