Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
I have sophos on my mac and I've tried deleting the application by throwing it away into my bin. I searched as much as finder/spotlight can find about sophos and threw those away. But after restarting my mac, the sophos icon at the top is still there. How can I remove it completely?

jmoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
i got the antivirus program off my previous university. i can't get the software anymore.

i did find a solution 2 days ago about installing this application that searches deeper than spotlight. but i can't find that website anymore. :(

londoner1

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
uninstall sophos antivirus

If for any reason you need to uninstall Sophos AV there is an uninstaller package that can be run from the following location:

/Library/Application Support/Sophos Anti-Virus/Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg

Best
S

jmoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
If for any reason you need to uninstall Sophos AV there is an uninstaller package that can be run from the following location:

/Library/Application Support/Sophos Anti-Virus/Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg

Best
S

I deleted the Sophos Anti-Virus folder. :X
What do I do?

bombardier.v2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Not sure if this will help anyone or not but it took me ages to work out that the folder with the 'Remove' package in it is NOT in Application Support but loose in Library, so the path should be:

/Library/Sophos Anti-Virus/Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg

Not sure why, but it didn't seem to come up as a result when searching with Spotlight.

Abes

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
Removing Sophos from menu bar

If you have deleted all the application support files for sophos, don't bother reinstalling to uninstall. You probably can't Trash one remaining file. Instead do this: Go>Utilities>Activity monitor. The you will find in the list that a sophos activity is running. Select the sophos activity and then choose stop in the top menu of Activity Monitor. Empty your Trash and voila, all gone.

Reactions: PietroD

elkhorn86

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2015
Removing Sophos from menu bar

If you have deleted all the application support files for sophos, don't bother reinstalling to uninstall. You probably can't Trash one remaining file. Instead do this: Go>Utilities>Activity monitor. The you will find in the list that a sophos activity is running. Select the sophos activity and then choose stop in the top menu of Activity Monitor. Empty your Trash and voila, all gone.

Thank you, Abes! It WORKED!!!

Reactions: PietroD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.