Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calvin.herbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2009
my cherished tit powerbook which I stacked with 768 sdram and uprated to 667 Mhz last year freezes each time I use it. I have to force a shut down and restart every time.
It's seven years old and I'm wondering whether it's reached the end of its natural, so to speak. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the cause / solution?
The freezing is inconsistent - sometimes it'll run for an hour, sometimes just seconds which makes me think it could be an overheating issue.
In searching the forums my search string first thru up threads re. replacing the thermal paste? Am I on the right lines there?
Hope someone has experience of these issues and a resolution for me 'cause I don't want to ditch this lovely old girl yet.
Thanks

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
not sure...

Are you getting kernel panics? You say you upgraded the processor? I didn't know they could be swapped out of powerbooks. Are there some compatability issues there if you have messed with the hardware?

I'm not sure about the exact nature of the problem based on what you have described, but some general maintenance steps to try:

1) zap the PRAM.
2) reset the power manager.
3) run disk utility, repair permissions and verify the disk.
4) get a third party utility like Onyx and clean out the system cache.

5) put the original factory apple RAM modules back in it. (In other words, restore the hardware to the original configuration when you got it from Apple)

6) most importantly, back up your files.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Are you getting kernel panics? You say you upgraded the processor? I didn't know they could be swapped out of powerbooks.

If by "uprating" the OP means overclocking, I would think the first suggestion would be to try clocking back down to the original speed... does that eliminate the crashes?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
If by "uprating" the OP means overclocking, I would think the first suggestion would be to try clocking back down to the original speed... does that eliminate the crashes?

Agreed, that would be my first step.

Overclocking carries the risk of instability, among other things. I bet this is your problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.