Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmpagejr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I am selling my iphone and decided to erase all of the data/contacts etc... It took about an hour and when it went to reboot it doesnt to anything, it is just the apple logo and a circle of lines going round and round. Sometimes the lines stop, sometimes it is going. I have tried to reset it with the lock/home button hold but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

thesaad

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
Cant boot my iphone either

I am having the exact same problem.

How did you fix it?

neesh0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
That happens when you erase all data and settings on an unlocked/ jail broken iphone, all you have to do is restore to regular apple software and redo the erase all settings without jailbreaking the phone.

aliathar

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2009
same issue here

I have a jailbroken 3G that I "Erase data and all settings".. and now it won't start. It goes to that apple screen before startup and just stays there, reboots itself and stays. I've tried connecting it to iTunes, but the computer doesn't recognize the phone. :(

jefette

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
how to fix it after the erase data and settings is frozen

I have a jailbroken 3G that I "Erase data and all settings".. and now it won't start. It goes to that apple screen before startup and just stays there, reboots itself and stays. I've tried connecting it to iTunes, but the computer doesn't recognize the phone. :(

Follow the below steps and you are all set no worries:
1- shutdown your iphone with the hard reset "home button and power for 10 second"
2- connect the usb cable to the pc but NOT to the iphone"
3- open itunes
4- while the iphone is off, press the home button for 5-10 seconds then plus the other end of the white connection cable into the iphone
5- do not remove your finger from the home button
6- itunes will detect it and you can now restore it
7- finally you need to jailbreak it again..follow the web instructions

Good luck

VorteX1984

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
Thanks!

Thanks a lot for these steps but i requires some further clarifications.

Should i go ahead and restore the phone if the phone is Unlocked (Sim usage allowed) -- I have a Iphone 3g with 2.0 Firmware on it.

Thanks!

mowux

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
1- shutdown your iphone with the hard reset "home button and power for 10 second"
3- open itunes
4- while the iphone is off, press the home button for 5-10 seconds then plus the other end of the white connection cable into the iphone

Good luck

Thank you so much!! This worked!

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Thanks a lot for these steps but i requires some further clarifications.

Should i go ahead and restore the phone if the phone is Unlocked (Sim usage allowed) -- I have a Iphone 3g with 2.0 Firmware on it.

Thanks!

Yes, but you have to choose a firmware earlier than 2.2.1, unless it's a factory unlock.

Going to 2.2.0 is safe to do.

cms408

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2009
3- open itunes

Good luck

After I followed these steps, my iphone showed "USB ===> Itunes" but also had "slide for emergency" the problem was that I cannot slide! its does not go anywhere! Is there anything else I can do?

jarjarblinks

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
After I followed these steps, my iphone showed "USB ===> Itunes" but also had "slide for emergency" the problem was that I cannot slide! its does not go anywhere! Is there anything else I can do?

You're lacking on the activation process.

Make sure the sim card you're using is from an official carrier.

despunjab

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
I phone frozen after erase all at the apple logo

That happens when you erase all data and settings on an unlocked/ jail broken iphone, all you have to do is restore to regular apple software and redo the erase all settings without jailbreaking the phone.

Hi, My apple i phone 3g has frozen at the apple logi afer I erased all settings ans content from the General settings tab. Now it is stuk at the apple logo and circling lines keep coming and going abut its stuk there, doesn't even restart, tried home and power buttons together but no luck. Kindly help. I read your quote above, kindly provide me with steps how to get rid of this problem and restore my iphone.

I would be grateful.

despunjab

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
Iphone 3g frozen after erase all

Hi, My apple i phone 3g has frozen at the apple logi afer I erased all settings ans content from the General settings tab. Now it is stuk at the apple logo and circling lines keep coming and going abut its stuk there, doesn't even restart, tried home and power buttons together but no luck. Kindly help. I read your quote above, kindly provide me with steps how to get rid of this problem and restore my iphone.

I would be grateful.

yoshaw

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
3- open itunes

Good luck

OMG, Thank you!!

I literally had a heart attack once I did a reset on my friends iPhone2G today. It's been hours since it was stuck on the apple logo. I'd added my sim contacts onto his device for testing and wanted to delete them all. He'd given it to me to update to 3.0, then jailbreak 7 unlock it. Which i successfully did. But this, omg, this I had no clue would happen.

But thanks to you my dear internet forum friend. I'm here looking at a restored phone, workable and ready to be jailbroken/unlocked again. Woohoo!! You ROCK!

Flamenco

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
3- open itunes

Good luck

Man that thing scared the heck out of me!!!

you rock !!!! Now iTunes is downloading the new update and restoring the iPhone!!

swainclubber

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
3- open itunes

Good luck

i have done this about 5 times now but every time i power off i always get the white apple..the phone works just fine beforehand and gets unlocked etc!!.is there any other way of maybe doing a deeper reset?many thanks in advance

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
This problem happened to me also on my jb iphone 3G running 3.0 firmware... sigh...

I tried resetting/erase all data and after that it wont boot up...

So can I restore it back to a jailbroken state using the firmware that the pwnage tool made for me? Or do I have to restore to the original 3.0 7A431 firmware and then jailbreak after that?

Also after I restore the firmware should I set up the phone as a new phone or use a previous backup. I have a lot of settings, msgs, phone pictures etc that I do not wanna lose! please help me get my phone back to the way it was.

bnchary

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Originally Posted by jefette
3- open itunes

To swainclubber and others who are still having this issue:
There is a minute change to the steps outlined by jefette. So follow these updated steps:

Plug one end of the cord into your phone and the other in your computer
Remove the cord in your computer, leaving the cord in the phone still plugged in
Hold both the home button and on/off button on the phone
Once the screen turns off, let go of the on/off button but continue holding the home button
Plug in the other end of the cord in your computer while still holding the home button on the phone
Once the apple logo appears, continue holding until you see the plug into iTunes screen on your phone
Click restore

This worked for my original unlocked iPhone (2g) and should work for all versions of iPhones. I just got my flashy 3GS so I'm selling my old 2G. After I reset the entire content of my 2G I came across this issue but thanks to the original poster of the following link it is resolved.

I found this solution from the following link:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2088600&tstart=30

Anyways thanks to jefette and the original poster of the above link.

jamshaidk

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
Help: Stuck at boot logo, after 'Erase All Contents and Settings'

Hi
I have read all the post, glad the steps are working fine for others, but not for me. I have tried many times ... but no use.

I was using OS 3.0, updated at iPhone 2G, and working fine. I just want to reset everything on my iPhone so I did erase everything, by choosing Erase All Contents and Settings.

But process doesn't finished, my iPhone hanged during erase. After waiting for hours, I forced restart and now its stuck at book logo.

Now I had tried, the
Hard Reset:
1) Power iPhone on.
2) Hold the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons for about 7 seconds, or until the screen turns black.
3) Your iPhone should reboot. If it doesn't don't worry, just hold the Sleep/Wake button for about 2 seconds.

but I cant turn my iPhone OFF. Simply cant turn it off no matter how long I hold the power and home buttons. It stays at boot logo, and after few mints it blinks for a second and come back to boot logo and stays there, and keep doing that until battery runs off.

I will really appreciate if someone explain the process to get it detected by iTunes to restore my OS. Please note that I cant turn my iPhone off, so no hard reset. Please help.

Cheers,

rac1979

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2009
Guys!

I also have the same problem!

The problem is, i formatted my PC. So i dont have the backup to restore the Iphone, will it still recover the device??

I cant try it now, im at work.....

Thanks alot!
(I just need the info!)

MissValerie2003

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
Okay I thought it was working

It was restoring then i guess after it was about to finish it said iphone could not restore error 2002 or something like that what do i do plz heeelllppppp:confused:

minneola24

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
3- open itunes

Good luck

You saved my day, thanks!

dukz

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
Originally Posted by jefette
3- open itunes

Good luck

at the 6 step my computer detects the iphone but itunes doesnot.....so m stuck.....what is the problem?? do i need the original carrier sim or wat??plz help....i would be very greatful...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.